Posted to dev@syncope.apache.org by Guido Wimmel <gu...@gmx.net> on 2013/09/10 13:27:03 UTC

EntityValidationInterceptor / log level of bean validation errors

Hi,

currently, EntityValidationInterceptor logs bean validation errors with log level ERROR.

I think bean validation errors can be part of normal system behaviour (e.g. a user registers
itself or is registered by an admin and accidentally or unknowingly enters invalid data and
then gets an error message on the UI).

We configured our system to send notifications to the operations team on ERROR log events and
would have to filter this one out.

I'd suggest turning the log level to WARN or maybe even INFO, but it can also be that I have overlooked
some use cases where ERROR would indeed be appropriate.

Cheers,
  Guido

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
On 18/09/2013 10:31, Fabio Martelli wrote:
> Il 10/09/2013 15:18, Francesco Chicchiriccò ha scritto:
>> On 10/09/2013 13:27, Guido Wimmel wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> currently, EntityValidationInterceptor logs bean validation errors
>>> with log level ERROR.
>>>
>>> I think bean validation errors can be part of normal system
>>> behaviour (e.g. a user registers
>>> itself or is registered by an admin and accidentally or unknowingly
>>> enters invalid data and
>>> then gets an error message on the UI).
>>>
>>> We configured our system to send notifications to the operations
>>> team on ERROR log events and
>>> would have to filter this one out.
>>>
>>> I'd suggest turning the log level to WARN or maybe even INFO, but it
>>> can also be that I have overlooked
>>> some use cases where ERROR would indeed be appropriate.
>>
>> Hum, not sure I agree: are you suggesting that a bean validation
>> error is not an actual operational error, hence it shouldn't be
>> logged as ERROR? I can hardly figure them out as WARN...
>>
>> Someone else's opinion?
>
> Maybe, WARN is better.
> I have to agree with Guido.

Well, time brought some more wisdom to me as well: I agree with the
proposed change.

Regards.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: EntityValidationInterceptor / log level of bean validation errors

Posted by Fabio Martelli <fa...@gmail.com>.
Il 10/09/2013 15:18, Francesco Chicchiriccò ha scritto:
> On 10/09/2013 13:27, Guido Wimmel wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> currently, EntityValidationInterceptor logs bean validation errors
>> with log level ERROR.
>>
>> I think bean validation errors can be part of normal system behaviour
>> (e.g. a user registers
>> itself or is registered by an admin and accidentally or unknowingly
>> enters invalid data and
>> then gets an error message on the UI).
>>
>> We configured our system to send notifications to the operations team
>> on ERROR log events and
>> would have to filter this one out.
>>
>> I'd suggest turning the log level to WARN or maybe even INFO, but it
>> can also be that I have overlooked
>> some use cases where ERROR would indeed be appropriate.
>
> Hum, not sure I agree: are you suggesting that a bean validation error
> is not an actual operational error, hence it shouldn't be logged as
> ERROR? I can hardly figure them out as WARN...
>
> Someone else's opinion?

Maybe, WARN is better.
I have to agree with Guido.
@Guido can you open a new issue and attach the patch?