Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Chris Pheby <ch...@tfe-group.com> on 2002/03/19 13:07:35 UTC

RE: Tomcat 4 with Apache 1.3 (and MySQL, JDBC, Mozilla, Netbeans)

Hope this helps! Can anyone help with JBoss and Tomcat 4? ( or with
improving this).

Chris

Setting up Tomcat, J2EE and Web Services with Apache on Windows

1) Install Apache

Install Apache_1.3.22-win32-x86.exe (Windows Installer of latest stable
release) to c:\server\apache (actually places it in Apache subdirectory).
During installation select the "Run as Service for all Users" option.

Verify the installation in Control Panel / Services by checking for Apache.

2)

Install MySQL
Install mysql-max-3.23.49-win.zip by unzipping and running setup.exe

Recommend installing to c:\server\mysql

Create c:\winnt\my.ini with the following contents:

[mysqld]
basedir=C:/projects/mysql
datadir=C:/projects/mysql/data

When you are done add c:\server\mysql\bin to the path environment variable.

You can get MySQL-Front from www.mysqlfront.de if you need a graphical front
end for the database.

Also available is MyODBC, which allows MySQL to be connected to by
applications utilising ODBC.

3) Install Java 2 Standard Edition 1.4

Run the J2SE installer, and choose to install to c:\Program Files\Java\J2SE.
Install all components and set it as a plugin for all browsers

Add the following to the PATH variable:

c:\Progra~1\J2SE\bin.
Install Tomcat 4.0.4 beta 1 LE
Download Tomcat 4.0.4 beta 1 LE (for JDK 1.4) and run the installer. Take
care to install Tomcat as a Service when offered the option by the
installer.

Set the following environment variables:

JAVA_HOME - c:\Program Files\Java\Tomcat
Integrate Tomcat and Apache
Stop the Tomcat and Apache services. Then download mod_webapp from
jakarta.apache.org. Extract libapr.dll to c:\winnt\system32. Also extract
libapr.dll and mod_webapp.so to c:\server\apache\modules.

Add the following lines to httpd.conf:

LoadModule webapp_module modules/mod_webapp.so
AddModule mod_webapp.c
You need to configure a connector in httpd.conf (examples shown for the
modules you can export initially - remove the comments to enable them - and
obviously add the mappings for any servlet you need):

<IfModule mod_webapp.c>
WebAppConnection warpConnection warp localhost:8008
WebAppInfo /webapp-info
#WebAppDeploy examples warpConnection /examples
#WebAppDeploy webdav warpConnection /webdav
</IfModule>
Before restarting Apache download Service+ from ActivePlus and use it to set
Apache as depending on Tomcat. Then restart Apache (Tomcat will restart
automatically).

4) Install JDBC Driver for MySQL

Download the MySQL JDBC driver.

Open the file (mm.mysql-2.0.11-you-must-unjar-me.jar) in WinZip and extract
mm.mysql-2.0.11-bin.jar and place it in c:\program
files\java\j2se\jre\lib\ext. It will now be automatically available to Java
programs, without needing to add it to the classpath.

5) Install Mozilla Plugin
Copy the np* files from C:\Program Files\Java\J2SE\jre\bin to C:\Program
Files\Mozilla\Plugins.

Restart Mozilla

6) Install NetBeans
Install NetBeans to c:\Program Files\Java\NetBeans. The installer will
automatically detect the JDK. Note that NetBeans does not yet support Tomcat
4 (this is coming in the next version) for in-process testing.

7) Configure Dependencies

Use service+ (www.activeplus.com) to make Apache depend on Tomcat. Make
Apache and Tomcat both depend on MySQL).