Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Dieter Oberkofler <d....@qualiant.at> on 2008/02/12 17:05:01 UTC

best practices to keep a local branch up2date

I've been using SVN in a production environment for almost a year now and
just love it.
Up until now I have been mostly using a local trunk but I'm now starting to
more and more use local branches when making some more complex changes on
our project and was wondering what the most appropriate way would be to keep
my branch up2date with the changes in the trunk.
I've read the documentation and am aware that this can be done by "merging"
the changes in the trunk into my branch but was wondering:
1) I feel that being as close as possible to the trunk (or more generally
the source of my branch) is generally a good idea. Is this reasonable?
2) Should the merging best done in the branch on the server and then update
the local one or immediately on the local one and then commit the changes?
3) It is a little complicated to keep track of what has been already merged
or what needs to be merged. What is the best technique to proceed here and
what happens if I merge twice the same changes?
Thank you for your help,

RE: Re: Subversion and PowerBuilder

Posted by "Williams, Robert E" <Ro...@maine.gov>.
I had looked at: tortoisesvnscc.tigris.org
The project is not very active and the posts are not being responded to for resolution.  This makes me concerned that the project has active support if we attempt to use this tool.

Doing more poking around I found this post dated Dec 11, 2007
http://groups.google.com/group/sybase.public.powerbuilder.source_control/browse_thread/thread/1694bbfc8d2bcf00/d76fd222e143d931%23d76fd222e143d931

"You have two choices:
1) PushOK SVN SCC Plugin from http://www.pushok.com/
2) PBSCC Proxy from http://dm.char.com.ua/pb/pbscc/pbscc.htm (free)

PBSCC Proxy also requirees you to install Subversion on the client, and Tortoise SVN on the client.  That's a total of 3 installs on each client.  The whole thing is a bit complex, what with the local directory you set up.  PBSCC has a pretty good description of how to do this, with screen shots."

Perhaps this may help others who search the archive on this list.  Google is a great tool, but it doesn't convey the experience of other developers, that is where lists like this come in handy (very).

Best Regards,

Robert

Posted by "Oliver Methfessel [MC]" <me...@methfessel-computers.de>.
Hi,

Posted by "Williams, Robert E" <Ro...@maine.gov>.
Hello all,

I am currently using PowerBuilder 9 and would like to use Subversion as
the source control management tool.  Could anyone provide additional
information or links on setting up PowerBuilder under Subversion?

Thank you,

Robert

Re: best practices to keep a local branch up2date

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Dieter Oberkofler wrote:
> I've been using SVN in a production environment for almost a year now and
> just love it.
> Up until now I have been mostly using a local trunk but I'm now starting to
> more and more use local branches when making some more complex changes on
> our project and was wondering what the most appropriate way would be to keep
> my branch up2date with the changes in the trunk.
> I've read the documentation and am aware that this can be done by "merging"
> the changes in the trunk into my branch but was wondering:
> 1) I feel that being as close as possible to the trunk (or more generally
> the source of my branch) is generally a good idea. Is this reasonable?

Yes.  Merge often.

> 2) Should the merging best done in the branch on the server and then update
> the local one or immediately on the local one and then commit the changes?

Always do merges into a clean working copy.  It doesn't matter where you do the
merge.

> 3) It is a little complicated to keep track of what has been already merged
> or what needs to be merged. What is the best technique to proceed here and
> what happens if I merge twice the same changes?
> Thank you for your help,

Until svn 1.5 comes out, use svnmerge.py to manage merges of changes from trunk
to the branch.

It handles keeping track of what's already merged.

http://www.orcaware.com/svn/wiki/Svnmerge.py

Regards,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac, Ph.D.
http://www.orcaware.com/svn/

Re: best practices to keep a local branch up2date

Posted by eg <eg...@gmail.com>.
Dieter Oberkofler wrote:
> Up until now I have been mostly using a local trunk but I'm now starting to
> more and more use local branches when making some more complex changes on
> our project and was wondering what the most appropriate way would be to keep
> my branch up2date with the changes in the trunk.
> I've read the documentation and am aware that this can be done by "merging"
> the changes in the trunk into my branch but was wondering:
> 1) I feel that being as close as possible to the trunk (or more generally
> the source of my branch) is generally a good idea. Is this reasonable?

Sure. I prefer to minimize merging if I can.

> 2) Should the merging best done in the branch on the server and then update
> the local one or immediately on the local one and then commit the changes?

Not quite sure I follow given your use of terminology.

What do you mean by local versus server? Are you talking about different
checked out working copies?

Or...
Are you asking about whether to commit changes to trunk and merge to the
branch... versus committing changes to the branch and merging to the trunk?

> 3) It is a little complicated to keep track of what has been already merged
> or what needs to be merged. What is the best technique to proceed here and
> what happens if I merge twice the same changes?

I would highly recommend using svnmerge.py which will address #3.

See the following webpage for usage notes including certain workflows:
http://www.orcaware.com/svn/wiki/Svnmerge.py