Posted to user@hive.apache.org by vinay gupta <vi...@yahoo.com> on 2009/08/20 21:30:25 UTC

File create perm. denied on starting hive

Hello hive users,

I am getting the following exception while running bin/hive

java.io.IOException: Permission denied
at java.io.UnixFileSystem.createFileExclusively(Native Method)
at java.io.File.checkAndCreate(File.java:1704)
at java.io.File.createTempFile(File.java:1793)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobShell.run(JobShell.java:54)
at org.apache.hadoop.util.ToolRunner.run(ToolRunner.java:79)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobShell.main(JobShell.java:68)

Anyone else seen this??

I built hive with hadoop 0.19.1 and running with java 6.
Also anyone know how I can get more info on the stack trace.
Is there hive debug mode which prints more diagnostics??

Please let me know. I just installed hive and trying to set it up.

Thanks
Vinay

Re: File create perm. denied on starting hive

Posted by vinay gupta <vi...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks for the hint.. It was actually hadoop.tmp.dir whose perms needed to be relaxed.

It would have been nice if the error msg were more helpful (more stack trace or the name of
file/dir which caused exception). Perhaps I will find out once I start digging deeper into code.

-Vinay

________________________________
Can you check the "mapred.tmp.dir" in your hadoop-site.xml/hadoop-default.xml?
It seems that Hadoop is unable to write to that directory.

Zheng

--
Yours,
Zheng

Re: File create perm. denied on starting hive

Posted by Zheng Shao <zs...@gmail.com>.

--
Yours,
Zheng