Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by peter royal <pr...@apache.org> on 2006/11/01 00:19:04 UTC

Re: mina 1.0 and java5

On Oct 31, 2006, at 1:57 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>> i was going to go a bit farther.. replace usage of synchronization
>> with the java5 concurrent data structures (which we could do in
>> 1.4 by using backport more, but i just assume go java5). also
>> update the source to be java5-clean (add @Override, use new for
>> loop, etc).
>> it'd really be a new version. mostly the same, just enhanced for
>> java5 :)
>
> Shouldn't this be going into a non-bug fix branch.  1.0 is sealed
> now in terms of the API.  All that should happen are bug fixes with
> 1.0.x right?
>
> Am I missing something here?

Yes, this will be a separate branch from 1.0, as to not disturb the
1.0 release.

This will be API compatible with 1.0, but no usage of backport, and
tweaking internals to make better use of what Java5 offers.

Since the trunk has some divergent API changes atm, I thought that a
java-5-ized 1.0-api-compatible version would be of use to the
community at large while the next big release is baking.

-pete

Re: mina 1.0 and java5

Posted by "John E. Conlon" <jc...@verticon.com>.
What time frames are anticipated for the java5 version of mina 1.0?

- John

Re: mina 1.0 and java5

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
peter royal wrote:
> On Nov 1, 2006, at 4:50 AM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>> What branch would this be?
>
> probably 1.2
>
>> What would be the first release of this be?
>
> probably 1.1

Great this makes lots of sense.  There certainly will be no confusion if
we take this route.

> (and both are probably's since no action has happened yet :)
>
>> Asking because we have to avoid confusion with the 1.0.x releases.
>
> understandable.. plan was to bump the minor number in accordance with
> current policy.

Cool I was thinking of creating a mina-core-nobackport-1.0.x which would
not be as good as what you have mentioned here with 1.1 and 1.2.

> just to re-iterate, the only "big" change would be to use java5, the
> external API will be source compatible with the 1.0 release. the goal
> being to give users of 1.0 that also use java5 a java5-optimized build,
> without having to wait for whatever version the trunk will be, as it has
> gone down the path of some incompatible API changes (which are fine,
> just means it will take longer to reach stability and get a release).

Thanks for bearing with me as I tried to understand this.

+1

Alex

Re: mina 1.0 and java5

Posted by peter royal <pr...@apache.org>.

Re: mina 1.0 and java5

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
peter royal wrote:
> On Oct 31, 2006, at 1:57 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>>> i was going to go a bit farther.. replace usage of synchronization
>>> with the java5 concurrent data structures (which we could do in 1.4
>>> by using backport more, but i just assume go java5). also update the
>>> source to be java5-clean (add @Override, use new for loop, etc).
>>> it'd really be a new version. mostly the same, just enhanced for
>>> java5 :)
>>
>> Shouldn't this be going into a non-bug fix branch.  1.0 is sealed now
>> in terms of the API.  All that should happen are bug fixes with 1.0.x
>> right?
>>
>> Am I missing something here?
>
> Yes, this will be a separate branch from 1.0, as to not disturb the 1.0
> release.
>
> This will be API compatible with 1.0, but no usage of backport, and
> tweaking internals to make better use of what Java5 offers.
>
> Since the trunk has some divergent API changes atm, I thought that a
> java-5-ized 1.0-api-compatible version would be of use to the community
> at large while the next big release is baking.

What branch would this be?  What would be the first release of this be?