Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Dave <sn...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/01 03:18:25 UTC

Re: collaborating on a project

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 7:29 AM, Harsha Halgaswatta
<ha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all
>  I am a level 3 Computer Science and Engineering undergraduate at University
>  of Moratuwa,Sri Lanka.Currently i have almost finished implementing  a
>  member section at E-channelling (pvt) Ltd which is the market leader of
>  health care system upon online channel booking system and first listed
>  company in Colombo stock exchange.I developed  this project from the scratch
>  using STRUTS2 web framework.I am now fairly familiar those areas
>  passionating specially on JAVA.
>
>  I am interested in collaborating on apache roller photogallery.I have listed
>  up my idea below
>  Pl comment on that weather my intention is true as expected.
>
>  As it is just lacking a photo and file uploading mechanism in roller blog
>  server, it would be better to have efficient mechanism to upload  photos and
>  files. The cream of  having such a mechanism in point of roller view is it
>  would support the roller users(web logger users ) in a convenient and
>  interesting  way than it is used to be as playing with images , photos ,and
>  documents may inspire the user.
>
>  The intention of this project is to create such a attractive interface for
>  uploading images while browsing, searching uploaded files. Further it would
>  allow any images to be changed, resized , edit etc.
>
>  The top most interface of this photogallery should be attractive covering
>  primary functionalities (uploading photos , images ,files ,etc) and browsing
>  or searching  those previously uploaded stuff*. *This interface also supply
>  the images with resizing facility or editing facility while allowing pre
>  stored images view in thumbnail mode.
>
>             I am really passionate with struts2 framework, So I hope it
>  would not be difficult for me to integrate my logics with the server side
>  implementation  after extracting  the flavour of Roller's Struts 2 action
>  infrastructure.

Hi Harasha,

I think you've captured the spirit of the project there and the
overall goal, but I think you'll have the best chance if your
application explains more specifically about how you will approach the
problem.

Here's what the FAQ says:

"5. What should a student application look like?"

"Your application should include the following: your project proposal,
why you'd like to complete this particular project, and the reason
you're the best individual to do so. Your proposal should also include
details of your academic, industry, and/or open source development
experience, and other details as you see fit. An explanation of your
development methodology is a good idea, as well. If your organization
has a specific application template they would like you to use, it
will be made available to you to fill in when submitting your proposal
via the GSoC web app."

"Note that there is a 7500-character limit to proposals, so be
prepared to supplement your proposal text with links to an external
site. However, you should still plan to provide an abstract of your
proposal, including a brief list of deliverables, via the GSoC web app
to ensure that your work receives sufficient review; terse
applications tend to look like incomplete applications during the
review process."

http://code.google.com/opensource/gsoc/2008/faqs.html

Hope that helps,
- Dave

Re: collaborating on a project

Posted by Harsha Halgaswatta <ha...@gmail.com>.
HI dave

Thanking you,
I ll drop a mail for more clarifications

cheers
hala