Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Steve <st...@browsermedia.com> on 2003/03/20 19:55:38 UTC

James will not relay email sent from through my IP (Comcast)

I don't know if this has already been posted, but I know there are frequent questions about James not relaying in certain cases, so I thought I would share a nice little issue I just ran into...

I have Jame installed on a computer at my office. I have been sending and receiving email just fine with my installation. Recently, I tried to send an email from my home office. For some reason, none of my emails were being received by the recipients regardless of whether they were local accounts to James or not. No messages were returning to me to indicate an error.

I looked into the repositories, and what I found was that all the email being sent FROM my home account were ending up in the deadletter box and marked as spam. As suggested, I checked the http://www.mail-abuse.org/rbl site. Both my client IP address and James' IP address were returned as "not in the database of spammers".

Finally, I found on the mail-abuse site a link to http://mail-abuse.org/dul/. Right at the top of the page was mention that Comcast addresses are listed in the dul databast (verified when I checked my ip address). Seems Comcast (and other IP's) require you to use their smtp servers.

The solution was to either a) change my client settings to use the Comcast SMTP server, or b) turn off the SPAM mailet in James.

Like I say, maybe others were already aware of this, but I just wanted to add it to the list of things to check if you have difficulties.

Steve

Re: James will not relay email sent from through my IP (Comcast)

Posted by Steve <st...@browsermedia.com>.
What I thought was unique about this situation is it was JAMES who
was rejecting the email - not some faceless provider. Also, it was
my mail CLIENT which was in a sense blacklisted, not my server.

Steve