Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Dan Fabulich <da...@fabulich.com> on 2007/12/27 06:34:36 UTC

[VOTE] [Take 2] Release Maven Surefire version 2.4

Hi,

Maven Surefire version 2.4 is back on the runway.  A handful of bugs were
fixed since the previous take, including SUREFIRE-416 (which blocked the
release).

Note that I'm still unable to reproduce SUREFIRE-328, which some people
claim to have seen in the wild.  If you can reproduce it with the staged
2.4 Surefire, please send me a REDUCED Maven project that reproduces the
problem [that is, not your entire build, if you can help it ;-)]

I also took this opportunity to make a briefer shortcut for skipping test
execution without skipping test compile.  You should now be able to "mvn
install -DskipTests" to compile your tests without running them.  (Note no
need for =true.)

Hopefully folks have spent some time trying out the SNAPSHOT version or
the previous take, because we expect ordinary users to get auto-upgraded
to version 2.4 when we decide to release.

This version fixes numerous long-outstanding bugs, notably in TestNG
support.

We solved 72 issues:
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10541&styleName=Html&version=13243

There are still 30 issues left in JIRA:
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&pid=10541&status=1

Staging repo:
http://people.apache.org/~dfabulich/staging-repo/

Vote open for 72 hours.

[ ] +1
[ ] +0
[ ] -1

PS Since it's so close to the Gregorian New Year, I'm probably not going
to actually deploy the release until Jan 3 at the earliest, even if the
vote passes.  :-)

Re: [VOTE] [Take 2] Release Maven Surefire version 2.4

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

dfabulich wrote:

> Vote open for 72 hours.
>
> PS Since it's so close to the Gregorian New Year, I'm probably not going
> to actually deploy the release until Jan 3 at the earliest, even if the
> vote passes.  :-)

Where are things at with this?  Looking to cut a release of OpenEJB which is
using surefire-2.4-SNAPSHOT at the moment.

Thanks,
David

Re: [VOTE] [Take 2] Release Maven Surefire version 2.4

Posted by Mauro Talevi <ma...@aquilonia.org>.
+1 - no problems encountered.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
+1 (non binding)

--
Olivier

Posted by Dan Tran <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me ( still non binding :-)

-D

Posted by Jerome Lacoste <je...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 3, 2008 10:20 AM, Jerome Lacoste <je...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 3, 2008 9:17 AM, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:
> > +1
>
> +1 from a happy user.

This vote has passed, right ?

Jerome

Re: [VOTE] [Take 2] Release Maven Surefire version 2.4

Posted by Jerome Lacoste <je...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 3, 2008 9:17 AM, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:
> +1

+1 from a happy user.

Re: [VOTE] [Take 2] Release Maven Surefire version 2.4

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
+1

On 2 Jan 08, at 3:19 PM 2 Jan 08, Dan Fabulich wrote:

> I knew it was a mistake to call a vote on the day after
> Christmas.  ;-) More votes, please!  Currently it's just me and
> Marat Radchenko, both +1 non-binding.
>
> -Dan
>
> Dan Fabulich wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Maven Surefire version 2.4 is back on the runway.  A handful of
>> bugs were fixed since the previous take, including SUREFIRE-416
>> (which blocked the release).
>>
>> Note that I'm still unable to reproduce SUREFIRE-328, which some
>> people claim to have seen in the wild.  If you can reproduce it
>> with the staged 2.4 Surefire, please send me a REDUCED Maven
>> project that reproduces the problem [that is, not your entire
>> build, if you can help it ;-)]
>>
>> I also took this opportunity to make a briefer shortcut for
>> skipping test execution without skipping test compile.  You should
>> now be able to "mvn install -DskipTests" to compile your tests
>> without running them.  (Note no need for =true.)
>>
>> Hopefully folks have spent some time trying out the SNAPSHOT
>> version or the previous take, because we expect ordinary users to
>> get auto-upgraded to version 2.4 when we decide to release.
>>
>> This version fixes numerous long-outstanding bugs, notably in
>> TestNG support.
>>
>> We solved 72 issues: http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10541&styleName=Html&version=13243
>>
>> There are still 30 issues left in JIRA:
>> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&pid=10541&status=1
>>
>> Staging repo:
>> http://people.apache.org/~dfabulich/staging-repo/
>>
>> Vote open for 72 hours.
>>
>> [ ] +1
>> [ ] +0
>> [ ] -1
>>
>> PS Since it's so close to the Gregorian New Year, I'm probably not
>> going to actually deploy the release until Jan 3 at the earliest,
>> even if the vote passes.  :-)

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Three people can keep a secret provided two of them are dead.

-- Unknown

Re: [VOTE] [Take 2] Release Maven Surefire version 2.4

Posted by Dan Fabulich <da...@fabulich.com>.

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] [Take 2] Release Maven Surefire version 2.4

Posted by Dan Fabulich <da...@fabulich.com>.
Milos Kleint wrote:

> And some of them got hit by this one already:
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SUREFIRE-121
>
> I've commited the hotfix.

I was a bit concerned about implementing SUREFIRE-121, but I only posted
about it on surefire-dev.

This hotfix switches from using System.getProperties to using
MavenSession.getExecutionProperties.  MavenSession has no JavaDoc (or
documentation of any kind?) so it's hard for me to tell how this hotfix
works.  What sort of properties get into executionProperties?  What
properties don't get into executionProperties?

> When is 2.4.1 scheduled?

We have schedules?  ;-)

> Since there was no significant work done in trunk in 2.5-SNAPSHOT, a new
> release should be relatively safe to do.

It would be nice to address SUREFIRE-433 in a 2.4.1 release.  I'll try to
take a crack at it today.

-Dan

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] [Take 2] Release Maven Surefire version 2.4

Posted by Milos Kleint <mk...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 13, 2008 5:39 AM, Dan Fabulich <da...@fabulich.com> wrote:
> Vote passed!
>
> PMC +1: Jason Van Zyl, Vincent Siveton, Brian Fox
>
> Non-binding +1: Dan Fabulich, Marat Radchenko, Dan Tran, Mauro Talevi,
> Jerome Lacoste, Oliver Lamy
>
> I'll update the repo (probably on Monday) and send out a notification that
> I've done it.
>
> This means that some people are going to start using the new Surefire, by
> default, on Monday, whether they know it or not.

And some of them got hit by this one already:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SUREFIRE-121

I've commited the hotfix. When is 2.4.1 scheduled?  Since there was no
significant work done in trunk in 2.5-SNAPSHOT, a new release should
be relatively safe to do.

Milos

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
+1

I think this vote still hasn't quite passed yet, for lack of a third
PMC member...?

Posted by Dan Fabulich <da...@fabulich.com>.

Posted by Marat Radchenko <sl...@gmail.com>.
A big +1 because of testng support.

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
+1

For the records, I got javac errors like for the Surefire 2.3.1 release [1]

Cheers,

Vincent

[1] http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-Release-surefire-2.3.1--p14210034s177.html