Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Ben Galbraith <bg...@amirsys.com> on 2003/04/28 20:39:17 UTC

Layout question

fop-users,

[I accidentally sent this message a moment ago from an account not
subscribed to this list -- apologies if it makes it through in addition
to this message]

My company creates a book from a series of XML files, and we'd like to
use FOP to produce the PDF's we'll send to the print shop.

However, I've hit a wall with FOP's limitations and wonder if anyone can
point me to a work around.

The effect I'm trying to achieve is as follows:

   first page

   ==================
   | header         |
   ------------------
   | first page box |
   ------------------
   | body text....  |
   |                |
   |                |
   ------------------
   | first p. box 2 |
   ==================

   second page

   ==================
   | header         |
   ------------------
   | second pg. box |
   ------------------
   | body text....  |
   |                |
   |                |
   |                |
   ==================

   subsequent pages

   ==================
   | header         |
   ------------------
   | body text....  |
   |                |
   |                |
   |                |
   ==================

The body text should flow contiguously, so I can't simply put the
first/second page boxes in the flow.  Furthermore, generation of the
book will be fully automatic, so I can't manually insert the box into
the flow.

If FOP (a) supported something like
<fo:conditional-page-master-reference page-position="second"> or (b)
floats, this a solution would be a no-brainer.

Any ideas?  We have considerable Java expertise -- should we consider
branching the FOP source to support page-position="second"?

Thanks,

Ben

Re: Layout question

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Ben Galbraith wrote:
> The body text should flow contiguously, so I can't simply put the
> first/second page boxes in the flow.  Furthermore, generation of the
> book will be fully automatic, so I can't manually insert the box into
> the flow.

Use
   <fo:page-sequence-master name="whatever">
     <fo:single-page-master-reference master-reference="first"/>
     <fo:single-page-master-reference master-reference="second"/>
     <fo:repeatable-page-master-reference master-reference="rest"/>
   </fo:page-sequence-master>

The spec is your friend.

J.Pietschmann