Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by Stuti Awasthi <st...@hcl.com> on 2012/01/03 13:11:25 UTC

File edit in Hadoop

Hi all,

Wish you all a very Happy New Year.

As I know that files once written in Hadoop are immutable. I can't edit the files in Apache distribution of Hadoop.
I tried with MapR distribution and I am able to edit, replace the files with this distribution.

I wanted to know does CDH3 also support file edit,replace functionality as normally done with NFS.

Please suggest.
Thanks

Regards,
Stuti Awasthi
HCL Comnet Systems and Services Ltd
F-8/9 Basement, Sec-3,Noida.

________________________________
::DISCLAIMER::

RE: File edit in Hadoop

Posted by Stuti Awasthi <st...@hcl.com>.
Thanks to everyone for all responses. I would like to comment few things. I am working on Apache Hadoop from quite few years now. This forum has always resolved my queries upfront.

@Todd: +1 for your response. It clears out my query.

@Arun C Murthy: Thanks for your response. I always asked relevant questions on this forum. If I have query regarding the Hadoop functionality then I think this is the best place where I can get hints to proceed in my way. Through my query I was not targeting any vendors like MapR, CDH or Hortonworks but just like a normal user of Apache Hadoop I wanted to clear out a simple question. I hope this clears out my intention of putting this question here.

Thanks
Stuti

> As I know that files once written in Hadoop are immutable. I can't
> edit the files in Apache distribution of Hadoop.
>
> I tried with MapR distribution and I am able to edit, replace the
> files with this distribution.

MapR isn't a Hadoop distribution - it's an entirely different closed-source filesystem, so it has a different feature set.

> I wanted to know does CDH3 also support file edit,replace
> functionality as normally done with NFS.

Nope, CDH is based on the open source Apache release, so has the same feature set.

-Todd
--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera

::DISCLAIMER::

Re: File edit in Hadoop

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Re: File edit in Hadoop

Posted by Todd Papaioannou <dr...@gmail.com>.
Nice Freudian ;)

Re: File edit in Hadoop

Posted by "M. C. Srivas" <mc...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 4:11 AM, Stuti Awasthi <st...@hcl.com> wrote:

>  Hi all,****
>
> ** **
>
> Wish you all a very Happy New Year.****
>
> ** **
>
> As I know that files once written in Hadoop are immutable. I can’t edit
> the files in Apache distribution of Hadoop.****
>
> I tried with MapR distribution and I am able to edit, replace the files
> with this distribution.****
>
> ** **
>
> I wanted to know does CDH3 also support file edit,replace functionality as
> normally done with NFS.

HDFS  (whether it comes from Apache or vendors like Cloudera or Hortonworks
who try to resell it) is architecturally incapable of random read-write.
NFS support requires random read-write capability, and thus HDFS cannot
support NFS. This is the same reason why you've also noticed funky behavior
when you used the FUSE interface (re: your earlier posts).

I think if you want NFS and Hadoop together, MapR is the only distribution
that supports MapR.  Of course, there are many other advantages to using
MapR apart from just NFS, but that's another story.

Re: File edit in Hadoop

Posted by Alexander Lorenz <wg...@googlemail.com>.
+1 for Arun and Todd

Alexander Lorenz
http://mapredit.blogspot.com

Re: File edit in Hadoop

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Re: File edit in Hadoop

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
On Jan 3, 2012, at 7:52 PM, M. C. Srivas wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 4:01 PM, Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
> this is an open forum, and if questions come up about  CDH or MapR  (or Hortonworks) or any other vendor's software or anyone's research that does similar things as Apache Hadoop, it is quite fair to discuss it here.   Instead of trying to curtail such conversations, feel free to point out advantages and disadvantages of any such work ... we will all benefit.

Again, ASF lists exist to help users and developers of ASF software.

If you want to participate as a user or help improve the software you are very welcome. If you want to provide constructive feedback on how we can improve ASF software you are more than welcome.

Other than these technical discussions, I don't see why ASF lists should be used to discuss or market products of _any_ vendor for several good reasons:
# ASF developer community cannot help users of vendor-specific products for obvious reasons.
# It could also lead to vendors spreading FUD about the ASF project while downplaying the deficiencies of their products for their own gain.

Of course, feel free to point this out to others yourself.

Arun

Re: File edit in Hadoop

Posted by "M. C. Srivas" <mc...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 4:01 PM, Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> Stuti - it's best to stick to questions about Apache Hadoop on
> *@hadoop.apache.org lists. The Apache Hadoop mailing lists exist to help
> users and developers of Apache Hadoop.
>
> For vendor specific questions use vendor specific lists  and rely on your
> own homework - Srivas has very little incentive to point out MapR doesn't
> support end-to-end security and so on, not completely unexpected.

I think Stuti's question was about editing files ... and not security.

Arun,

this is an open forum, and if questions come up about  CDH or MapR  (or
Hortonworks) or any other vendor's software or anyone's research that does
similar things as Apache Hadoop, it is quite fair to discuss it here.
Instead of trying to curtail such conversations, feel free to point out
advantages and disadvantages of any such work ... we will all benefit.

Let's also be honest ---   just like MapR or HCL or any other company
that's out there,  Hortonworks and Cloudera are in this to make serious
profits for their investors and shareholders.

Re: File edit in Hadoop

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.