Posted to bluesky-dev@incubator.apache.org by Arthur Chen <zi...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/07 12:17:16 UTC

oss problem

Hi all,

I thought we have solved the oss problem last time for Kevin and I deleted
some code related to OSS, but we didn't notice that OSS is used to capture
audio,. The APIs of OSS is in <linux/soundcard.h>,. Generally speaking OSS
is used as soundcard driver, but it is GPLed. Another Linux soundcard driver
is ALSA, it has LGPLed version.
To capture audio, the using of APIs of soundcard driver is inevitable, so
maybe we should use ALSA to replace OSS.

Best regards,
Arthur

Re: oss problem

Posted by Samuel Kevin <lo...@gmail.com>.
quote from ALSA  mailing list:
http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2007-October/003582.html

At Thu, 11 Oct 2007 18:14:14 +1000,
WOODEN John wrote:
>*
*>* I wish to use either the ALSA or SALSA API within my application.
I also intend to commercially distribute my application and sell it.
*>*
*>* What affect does ALSA's and/or SALSA's Lesser GPL license have
upon applications that utilize their API's?
*>*
*>* Do I have to make the source code of my application freely
available if I choose to utilize the ALSA or SALSA API?
*
I expected someone answered better about such a question than me, but
so far, I see no reply yet...

AFAIK, LGPL allows you the binary-form distribution without disclosure
of your source code as long as you link the LGPL'ed library
dynamically.

Takashi

Re: oss problem

Posted by Samuel Kevin <lo...@gmail.com>.
hi, Arthur:
    i've post the consultation on ALSA mailinglist, hope there's good news.
I still think that it is not  handy to let users recompiled ALSA sound drive
again.......
regards,
Kevin

Re: oss problem