Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org> on 2010/10/08 03:48:49 UTC

[taglibs] Proposal to separate out 1.0 functionality

The 1.0 taglibs included their own implementation of EL. With EL now being provided by the JSP container and newer code using the 1.1 tag URIs, this is complexity that would not be needed for many newer implementation.

I've been wondering if we could refactor the library into two jars: one supporting 1.1 and later tags and one supporting the original 1.0 tags. Most users who just need the newer functionality could just use the smaller 1.1 library and only those still using 1.0 tags would need to include the additional 1.0 support jar.

A further refinement would be to refactor the 1.0 code to use the JSP EL support from javax.el.

Thoughts?
Jeremy

Re: [taglibs] Proposal to separate out 1.0 functionality

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
I created a prototype of moving to javax.el as a potential fix for bug 33934:
	https://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/attachment.cgi?id=26179&action=edit

This would allow us to split into three jars:
* standard-impl, with the 1.2 TLDs that would support 1.2 and 1.1 tags
* standard-compat, with the 1.0 RT and EL TLDs that would support 1.0 using the JSP container's EL
* standard-jstlel, with the 1.0 RT and EL TLDs that would support 1.0 using the original JSTL EL

-compat would be a smaller footprint and would support newer JSP EL features like function mapping
-jstlel would provide strict compatibility with the JSTL 1.0 EL spec by using the original EL evaluator

If this sounds good, I'll make this split and refactor the other 1.0EL tags later this week.

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
On Oct 7, 2010, at 11:15 PM, Rahul Akolkar wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 9:48 PM, Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org> wrote:
>> A further refinement would be to refactor the 1.0 code to use the JSP EL support from javax.el.
>>
> <snap/>
>
> 1.0 code? That would preclude its use unless javax.el is provided.

To clarify, this would be the code in our 1.2 implementation (trunk) that provides compatibility for running 1.0 tags in 1.2-level environment. The existing 1.1 and 1.0 branches would not change.

The JSTL1.2 spec requires JSP2.1 which would ensure javax.el is provided. There are existing dependencies on this package in the JSTL1.2 api classes (for example, IndexedValueExpression depends on javax.el.ELContext) we are not introducing anything new.

Re: [taglibs] Proposal to separate out 1.0 functionality

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 9:48 PM, Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org> wrote:
> The 1.0 taglibs included their own implementation of EL. With EL now being provided by the JSP container and newer code using the 1.1 tag URIs, this is complexity that would not be needed for many newer implementation.
>
> I've been wondering if we could refactor the library into two jars: one supporting 1.1 and later tags and one supporting the original 1.0 tags. Most users who just need the newer functionality could just use the smaller 1.1 library and only those still using 1.0 tags would need to include the additional 1.0 support jar.

<snip/>

Seems reasonable, to separate cruft from current.

> A further refinement would be to refactor the 1.0 code to use the JSP EL support from javax.el.

<snap/>

1.0 code? That would preclude its use unless javax.el is provided.

-Rahul