Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Bill Snyder <ws...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/26 20:04:18 UTC

DateTools question

Hello,

Why does DateTools.dateToString() return a String representation of my Date,
but in a different TimeZone. Does it use its own Calendar/TimeZone settings?

F.I.

DateFormat format = new SimpleDateFormat("yyyy-MM-dd hh:mm:ss.SSS");
System.out.println(DateTools.dateToString(format.parse("2006-04-26 07:29:
52.581"),DateTools.Resolution.MINUTE));

will print out

200604261129

Why the 4 hour difference?

Thanks!

--Bill

Re: DateTools question

Posted by Bill Snyder <ws...@gmail.com>.
Makes sense. Thanks for the response!

--Bill

Re: DateTools question

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: Why does DateTools.dateToString() return a String representation of my Date,
: but in a different TimeZone. Does it use its own Calendar/TimeZone settings?

Yes, DateTime is hardcoded to use GMT for it's string representations.

It wouldn't be safe for DateTools to use your current TimeZone/Locale,
because once you've indexed the value, your index might be used by another
application (or another instance of your application) running in a
differnet locale.

The important thing is not what string DateTools.dateToString returns,
it's whether you get an equivilent date back (based on the resolution you
specified)) when you do something like this...

  Date a = ...;
  DateTools.Resolution r = ...;
  Date b = DateTools.stringToDate(DateTools.dateToString(a,r));

How to display a field value

Posted by anton feldmann <an...@uni-bielefeld.de>.
Hi

how do i display the whole field value of an document the query string
is found?

cheers

anton