Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2016/09/09 20:53:56 UTC

[DRAFT] Apache FlexJS 0.7.0 and Apache Flex FalconJX 0.7.0 Released

Please comment on the draft below.  We need Om or someone to publish the
npm module.

-----------

The Apache Flex community is pleased to announce the release of Apache
FlexJS SDK 0.7.0 and Apache Flex FalconJX Compiler 0.7.0.

Apache Flex is a highly productive, open source application framework for
building and maintaining expressive applications that deploy consistently
on all major browsers, desktops and devices (including smartphones,
tablets and tv).

Apache FlexJS is a next-generation Flex SDK that enables developers to use
MXML and ActionScript to not only create SWFs but also cross-compile the
same MXML and ActionScript to HTML/JS/CSS so applications can run natively
in browsers.  The cross-compiled code can also be used in Apache Cordova
(Adobe PhoneGap) mobile applications.

Apache Flex FalconJX is a next-generation MXML and ActionScript
cross-compiler.  It extends the next-generation SWF compiler known as
Falcon.  Both are contained in the release package and are used by the
FlexJS package to compile SWFs or cross-compile to HTML/JS/CSS.

This is the fifth release of FlexJS and FalconJX.  It is ‘beta'
quality.  In this release, all of the compiler JARs and framework SWCs are
also available as Maven artifacts making it the first version of any Flex
SDK to support Maven.  Maven can even be used to build the sources and
examples.  See the various pom.xml files included in the artifacts.

In addition, the JS output also includes source maps so you can see your
ActionScript source in the browser debugger.  Also, there is more support
for using ActionScript to create NodeJS modules, and you can now use a
subset of E4X in your cross-compiled applications.  See the RELEASE_NOTES
files in the artifacts for more information.

The purpose of this release is to gather feedback about the
features and implementation strategies, and recruit new contributors as we
grow these code bases into an SDK and tool chain that delivers the highest
productivity developing applications that can run in the most places.
These releases may not handle production needs.  Expect lots of bugs and
missing features.  Please file bugs at:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX/

For questions about how to use FlexJS and FalconJX, send email to
users@flex.apache.org.  Please try to prefix the subject with [FlexJS] or
[FalconJX] so it is clear the questions refer to this release and not the
Flex SDK and MXMLC compiler.

For questions and feedback on the development of the source code in these
release, send email to dev@flex.apache.org.  Again, please prefix the
subject with [FlexJS] or [FalconJX].

Apache FlexJS and Apache Flex FalconJX are available in source and binary
form from the following download page:
http://flex.apache.org/download-flexjs.html

When downloading from a mirror site, please remember to verify the
downloads using signatures or MD5 hashes.

A simple way to try these releases is to use the
InstallApacheFlex 3.1 or 3.2 application which is available at the
following url:
http://flex.apache.org/installer.html

Choose Apache FlexJS 0.7.0 and it will create an Adobe Flash
Builder-compatible SDK that uses the Falcon and FalconJX compilers to
generate SWFs and HTML/JS/CSS output.  You can also use FDT as your IDE
for developing FlexJS applications.  Some folks have been successful
using IntelliJ, FlashDevelop as well.  Moonshine is also working on
FlexJS support.

Apache FlexJS 0.7.0 is also available as a npm package. On a system with
npm installed, users can easily install FlexJS with the command: "npm
install flexjs -g".

See the README or the FlexJS wiki for more information.  The FlexJS
section of the wiki is at the following

url:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/FlexJS

For more information on Apache Flex, visit the project home page:
http://flex.apache.org

Please try FlexJS and become involved in shaping the future of Flex.

The Apache Flex Community

Re: [DRAFT] Apache FlexJS 0.7.0 and Apache Flex FalconJX 0.7.0 Released

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 9/10/16, 10:04 PM, "omuppi1@gmail.com on behalf of OmPrakash Muppirala"
<omuppi1@gmail.com on behalf of bigosmallm@gmail.com> wrote:

>Which swcs dont match? I can take a look.

If you do a binary compare between what node installs and what we posted
on the mirrors, none of the SWCs compare.

I just checked out Core.swc and found that the code inside is the same,
but the npm version actually came from the nightly build instead of
dist.apache.org or the mirrors.

I don't care enough to check the others and don't really care if you push
out the nightly, but it would be "safer" to push out the exact same bits
we push out through the mirrors.

Thanks,
-Alex

Re: [DRAFT] Apache FlexJS 0.7.0 and Apache Flex FalconJX 0.7.0 Released

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.
Just tried flexjs@next on Mac. Looks good to me!

- Josh

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
I have published flexjs 0.7.0 on the npm repository.

You can install it by running:

npm install flexjs -g

Before publishing, I confirmed that the npm flexjs package does indeed
download from the mirrors:

==================
*Downloading Apache FlexJS from mirror:
http://mirror.symnds.com/software/Apache/flex/flexjs/0.7.0/binaries/apache-flex-flexjs-0.7.0-bin.zip
<http://mirror.symnds.com/software/Apache/flex/flexjs/0.7.0/binaries/apache-flex-flexjs-0.7.0-bin.zip>*
Apache FlexJS download complete
Extracting Apache FlexJS
Apache FlexJS extraction complete
Downloading Apache Flex Falcon Compiler
*Downloading Apache Flex Falcon Compiler from mirror:
http://apache.mirrors.ionfish.org/flex/falcon/0.7.0/binaries/apache-flex-falconjx-0.7.0-bin.zip
<http://apache.mirrors.ionfish.org/flex/falcon/0.7.0/binaries/apache-flex-falconjx-0.7.0-bin.zip>*
Apache Flex Falcon Compiler download complete
Extracting Apache Flex Falcon Compiler
==================

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
+1.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Well, I can only speak for myself, but I have learned over the years that,
> while we can't say "Community over Policy" since policy is important,
> community is still more important than trying to nail every last detail of
> the licensing.

If we start making releases that don’t conform to policy we may attract board attention and we really don’t want that.

>  For sure, early on, I thought we had to nail every last
> detail, but senior Apache members have advised us that we can use "trust"
> and "intent" in approving releases.

That have also advised that policy must be followed and issues need to be fixed when they are brought up.

> Because if we do make a mistake in the details, it isn't the end of the world, we can fix it in
> the next release

Or the next RC if needed. Most of these issues are very easily fixed and where there is some doubt on what to do they can be “fixed" so that at worse it’s a documentation error rather than a licensing error.

>  it would be great if you could share your processes with us and the ASF in general.

I’ve shared several times my process for reviewing releases, there’s noting special there. Mostly an understanding of policy and knowing what to look for and a few simple searches of the code. I have submitted a talk to ApacheCon on this subject and if accepted will share here after the event.

> Another way to look at it is that if the ASF truly cared about nailing
> every last detail, the policy would be that you could use a licensing
> issue to veto a release.

You can’t veto a release but it is common for PMC members to vote -1 on a release that contains:
- security software without an export license
- binaries
- bundled or dependancies on category X licensed software
- category B code in source
- licensing errors

Fix in the next release is generally:
- documentation errors in license/notice
- missing headers

The incubator is a little more lenient to projects starting out and the answer is always going to be "it depends” some licensing errors are more serious than others.

It is for example possible to get VP legal to give you permission to release something with GPL licensed software in it.

> And thus, we don't have to look too hard, especially at third-party bundles.

IMO we need look a little harder when we bundled 3rd party stuff as it's easier to make mistakes. But the issues we currently have are due to what we have done not what 3rd parties have done.

Thanks,
Justin

AW: [DRAFT] Apache FlexJS 0.7.0 and Apache Flex FalconJX 0.7.0 Released

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
I still have one discussion in mind with the replacing of License Headers in files as part of the Patch process. I guess this isn't resolved yet. I responded more general as the other responses seemed to refer to someone continuously doing something :-)

Chris

________________________________
Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Some issues are more controversial than others.  The controversial ones should be decided before committing changes.

So what issues do you consider not to be controversial? Which ones can I fix?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [DRAFT] Apache FlexJS 0.7.0 and Apache Flex FalconJX 0.7.0 Released

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Well, we could use JIRA as you suggested, but for starters, a list of issues in a separate email thread might be more efficient.  I've lost track of what the issues are since some, like the npm distro is no longer an issue (I think).

-Alex

From: "omuppi1@gmail.com<ma...@gmail.com>" <om...@gmail.com>> on behalf of OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>>
Date: Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 6:47 PM
To: Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>>
Cc: "dev@flex.apache.org<ma...@flex.apache.org>" <de...@flex.apache.org>>

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 6:21 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>> wrote:
Some issues are more controversial than others.  The controversial ones should be decided before committing changes.
Fair enough.  But that said, I do see Justin's point that he does not want to make the changes if there is a threat of a veto.  How can we separate out things so that the easy to fix ones don't end up clubbed together with controversial ones?

In other words, how can we make it easier for Justin to go ahead and JFDI?

Thanks,
Om

Sent from my LG G3, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Just to add my 50ct to this discussion.

Justin did bring up the issue. He even brought it when we were first discussing starting a release. The discussion sort of dried out without a resolution, then when it came to the release, he mentioned it again. But again no action was taken. So I too see a complaint about PMCs coming up with such stuff in the last minute as not valid.

ASF is community over code, but the one thing the ASF deals with is protecting us as developers as well as our users from licensing issues. It's this extra protection and care that distinguishes Apache releases from the typical Github projects. This is why in every bank or insurance company I was working in, there never was a discussion about using ASF software, if it's not ASF however you have to jump quite a lot of obstacles in order to use a library. I remember quite some rounds with legal and quality assurance people.

The ASF has earned that trust because we have people in our communities that care about this sort of stuff. Having some legal caretaker is one of the coolest thing a project can have, cause it lets us coding-monkeys do what we like to do and we can somehow be lazy and trust that someone is taking care of this. I hate legal stuff. To me it's just getting in my way ... sort of as others think working on build-, code-quality or writing documentation should be done by others.

We have a pretty heterogenous community. I know I'm definitely the build-monkey, Justin's the legal-monkey, we have a lot of code-monkeys. Why not use the specialities of each other instead of complaining about it? I know I have to work on my side about not ranting about code-quality, for example, but I'm trying ... hope you guys didn't notice any recent rants from my side ;-)

If we hadn't let the discussion about Justin's findings die when he brought it up and had resolved the problem instead, the problem would have been solved. So how about us addressing the issues Justin has and in case of a "I think this way, you think that way", let's involve legal and have these things settled once and for all?

 Chris

________________________________

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Justin, regardless of the perceived tone of Alex's message, the content of
> it should not be dismissed. You always seem to raise new licensing issues
> at the last minute before a release

Here the issues were raised well before the RC was made so not really last minute. [1][2]

But it’s true I’m not full time or paid to work on this and so I can’t always review / find everything early. It historically true (for what ever reason) that all PMC members tend to check releases late in the process. Alex had to ask several times for other PMC to review the release after I had done so.

Perhaps the question we should be asking is why are other PMC members are not finding these issues earlier as well? Part of that I would guess is I pay a little more attention to policy/license issues and probably have more experience in knowing what to look for from my work on the incubator PMC. But it is (for instance) slightly concerning that the MIT license issue wasn’t picked up earlier by someone else.

If I hadn’t been reviewing it's likely (IMO) that this realise would of contained GPL licensed/ proprietary IP and would of had more license issues.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/db1ec380d40d5685d50fe75430662a7e5c6cf985752f82acf4bec0d1@%3Cdev.flex.apache.org%3E
2. https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/95ba7d9eb5a83cfa8411b933d00ba6fde4c8b982feecc823e7fdbdc4@%3Cdev.flex.apache.org%3E

Re: [DRAFT] Apache FlexJS 0.7.0 and Apache Flex FalconJX 0.7.0 Released

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.
Justin, regardless of the perceived tone of Alex's message, the content of
it should not be dismissed. You always seem to raise new licensing issues
at the last minute before a release. This timing can be extremely
frustrating for the rest of us.

- Josh

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 9/13/16, 3:28 PM, "omuppi1@gmail.com on behalf of OmPrakash Muppirala"
<omuppi1@gmail.com on behalf of bigosmallm@gmail.com> wrote:

>The npm flexjs package is a thing on its own which points to only released
>Apache artifacts.  We are not publishing unreleased apache code anywhere.
>
>Still not sure what the violation is.

I don't think there is a problem.  Let's push npm out so we can push out
the announcement.  If there is a problem it can be rectified.  This is
another example of why the board and mentors recommend that folks who want
to be sticklers about policy should be watching the commit lists and
raising issues early, not at the last minute where it delays the work of
the folks who are actually contributing code to the release.

"minor" policy issues should be investigated and presented in more detail
and in a collaborative fashion instead of accusing other PMC members.
There really shouldn't be a "you", it is a "we".

-Alex

Re: [DRAFT] Apache FlexJS 0.7.0 and Apache Flex FalconJX 0.7.0 Released

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> If that's the case, I guess we'll need to switch to using "npm pack" for
> testing NPM builds in the future. It produces an archive that is the same
> as what gets downloaded when a version is published to NPM's servers, but
> you can use it to install locally.

That sounds like a good idea that was the package can be voted on at the same time as the other packages rather than after that vote has been taken. That was we also know that he contents will be identical to the voted on release.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [DRAFT] Apache FlexJS 0.7.0 and Apache Flex FalconJX 0.7.0 Released

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
I read that thread and I don't see any obvious violation.  Can you please
expand on what you think is a violation?  How do you think we should fix
the said violation?

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 9/13/16, 2:03 AM, "Harbs" <ha...@gmail.com> wrote:

>One thing I noticed is that JIRA has not been updated to the fact that
>there’s a 0.7.0 release.

Thanks for the reminder.  I updated JIRA.

>On Sep 13, 2016, at 10:10 AM, Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>
>wrote:
>
>> So what's the status on releasing? I would like to start promoting the
>>Maven release ...

AIUI, we are waiting on tuning up the npm module before sending the
announcement.  I don't know of any reason you can't do other promoting, so
feel free to spread the word.

-Alex

Re: [DRAFT] Apache FlexJS 0.7.0 and Apache Flex FalconJX 0.7.0 Released

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 1:53 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> Please comment on the draft below.  We need Om or someone to publish the
> npm module.

On it.

Thanks,
Om