Posted to user-java@ibatis.apache.org by Derek Alexander <D....@lse.ac.uk> on 2008/06/02 16:59:18 UTC

RE: C3P0 configuration example for iBatis anyone?

Anton Rothenbacher wrote:

> We have a firewall between the db and webserver which is closing inactive
> connections when the app sits idle for a period of time. After the idle
> period, the first person who attempts to logon to the website experiences
> a 15 minute lag while it waits for the connection pool to deem the
> connection it selected out of the pool bad, recycle it and start using the
> fresh connection. We are open to using any connection pool mechanism with
> ibatis that has an option to test idle pooled connections and recycle them
> if they are deemed bad on a configurable basis.

In his excellent book "Release It! - Design and Deploy Production-Ready
Software", Michael T Nygard describes a problem scenario pretty much like
that. Rather than testing idle pooled connections, the solution was to
enable an Oracle feature called "dead connction detection". This would
feature had the Oracle server "ping" the (application server) client at
regular intervals. As this ensured regular traffic through the firewall for
the connection it ensured the firewall didn't drop it.

Hope that helps.
D.

RE: C3P0 configuration example for iBatis anyone?

Posted by Anton Rothenbacher <tc...@hotmail.com>.
Actually, this is the solution we have ultimately implemented. I think I am getting the picture, that our best hope is to avoid stale connections in the first place. I was hoping to be pro-active on the client side, testing idle connections, recycling them if they are deemed bad (for whatever reason, closed connections because of firewall or otherwise) to achieve a high level of certainty that connections in the pool are indeed good all the while having a view into the activity of the reaper thread thru logging.
Thanks to all who replied to the thread.
> Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 07:59:18 -0700> From: D.Alexander@lse.ac.uk> To: user-java@ibatis.apache.org> Subject: RE: C3P0 configuration example for iBatis anyone?> > > > > Anton Rothenbacher wrote:> > > > We have a firewall between the db and webserver which is closing inactive> > connections when the app sits idle for a period of time. After the idle> > period, the first person who attempts to logon to the website experiences> > a 15 minute lag while it waits for the connection pool to deem the> > connection it selected out of the pool bad, recycle it and start using the> > fresh connection. We are open to using any connection pool mechanism with> > ibatis that has an option to test idle pooled connections and recycle them> > if they are deemed bad on a configurable basis. > > > In his excellent book "Release It! - Design and Deploy Production-Ready> Software", Michael T Nygard describes a problem scenario pretty much like> that. Rather than testing idle pooled connections, the solution was to> enable an Oracle feature called "dead connction detection". This would> feature had the Oracle server "ping" the (application server) client at> regular intervals. As this ensured regular traffic through the firewall for> the connection it ensured the firewall didn't drop it.> > Hope that helps.> D.> -- > View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/C3P0-configuration-example-for-iBatis-anyone--tp17550979p17603358.html> Sent from the iBATIS - User - Java mailing list archive at Nabble.com.>
Make every e-mail and IM count. Join the i’m Initiative from Microsoft.