Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by Gordon Dickens <gd...@anexinet.com> on 2007/10/08 14:44:46 UTC

Apache Commons -vs- Log4J

Hello,

Is there any specific reason why one would choose Apache Commons or
Log4J as their preferred logging mechanism?

Thanks,
Gordon Dickens

Re: Apache Commons -vs- Log4J

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 10/8/07, Gordon Dickens <gd...@anexinet.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there any specific reason why one would choose Apache Commons or
> Log4J as their preferred logging mechanism?

In order to understand why you might use one over the other, you
should first understand a little about each. I wrote a blog entry that
discussed this topic a bit back in August:

http://bsnyderblog.blogspot.com/2007/08/my-soapbox-for-slf4j.html

There's also a discussion out on TheServerSide about this topic.

I've dealt a lot with logging in my career and If I had to choose
strictly between the two choices of Commons Logging and Log4J then
it's an easy decision;  I'd stick with Log4J. IMO, most projects
choose Commons Logging without ever really understanding its purpose
which can cause massive issues later.

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/