Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Evans <ds...@berndtgroup.net> on 2004/02/20 19:06:17 UTC

Logging

Hello All,

I am trying to get ideas on logging, general configurations, best
practices, etc. Currently i use the default tomcat configuration which
sends all catalina logs to $CATALINA_HOME/logs/catalina_log.XXXX.txt and
sends all System.err.println() and System.out.println() calls to
$CATALINA_HOME/logs/catalina.out. I have used System.err.println to do
both debugging and to do general application logging.

That has worked fine for me so far, as i've only had one application per
server. I am about to create my first multicontext application and need
to start splitting the logs into seperate files. From what i understand
i can only have one file for System.err.println files, because this is
set by catalina.sh and is sent to the SystemErrLogger. So what i believe
i should do is to set Logger tags within each context tag in my host
tags. With FileLogger as the class attribute and a different directory
attribute for each. And then use ServerContext.log instead of
System.err.println

Is that correct? Is that how you do it? Other options? What if you
wanted to have multiple logs per application, say a database access log
and a security violation log, or some such?

Thanks

dave

RE: Logging

Posted by Yansheng Lin <ya...@silvacom.com>.
No, I am doing it through log4j.  But would it interested in knowing anyone
using J2SE 1.5.0 beta logging API.  Heard it's the same as log4j in principle.

Thanks!