Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru> on 2008/11/21 13:55:27 UTC

[VOTE] Release of POI 3.5-beta4

Hi All,

As you may noticed, there has been much development activity in POI over the last two months.
There have been quite a few bug fixes and improvements, especially in the OOXML part of POI.
So, I think it's time for a next beta (hopefully the last one before  3.5-FINAL).

The release artifacts can be downloaded from the following URL:
     http://people.apache.org/~yegor/REL_3_5_BETA4

The revision number of the release is r719547 and tagged as REL_3_5_BETA4.

Below is a short summary of key changes:

  (1) XSSF module has been significantly reworked and reached the state close to its HSSF counterpart.

To help you evaluate the current state of XSSF I created a set of rich examples. The examples are based on common
XSSF-HSSF interfaces so that you can generate either *.xls or *.xlsx output just by setting a command-line argument:

http://poi.apache.org/spreadsheet/examples.html
Sample output can be download from http://people.apache.org/~yegor/ss_examples/

  (2) JDK 1.5 is now a minimum requirement.

  (3) Finally, 3.5-beta4 fully supports Maven. All POI dependencies including ooxml-schemas and OpenXML4J are now on the
central Maven repository.

  (4) This time there are no special artifacts for Maven. The Maven artifacts are deployed by a auto-generated script
created by the "ant dist" command. See http://people.apache.org/~yegor/REL_3_5_BETA4/mvn-deploy.sh.

  (5) As usual, the release includes numerous bug fixes and improvements. The list of changes is available in the change
log:
   http://poi.apache.org/changes.html

The vote options are:

[ ]+1  - I support the release
[ ] 0  - I don't care
[ ]-1  - I'm opposed to the release because...

I'm voting [+1]. Voting will last a week and end on Friday, 28th November.

Yegor

Re: [VOTE] Release of POI 3.5-beta4

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>.
The vote has passed.

The vote thread is
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/poi-dev/200811.mbox/%3C4926AFBF.7030402@dinom.ru%3E

Four +1 votes, zero -1 votes.

Four PMC votes.

Yegor

Posted by David Fisher <df...@jmlafferty.com>.
I am +1 as well.

Dave

Posted by Josh Micich <jo...@gmail.com>.
Looks OK to me
+1

Re: [VOTE] Release of POI 3.5-beta4

Posted by Andy Oliver <ac...@gmail.com>.
I think it should be after the first.  Holiday releases never work out
well nor are they very well publicized.

Posted by David Fisher <df...@jmlafferty.com>.
Hi Andy,

Posted by Andy Oliver <ac...@gmail.com>.
On 11/24/08, David Fisher <df...@jmlafferty.com> wrote:
> Andy,
>
>  I agree it is a short week, what date would you prefer? December 1, a week
> from today?

that is fine.  Just so long as to be fair the next release is voted a
day after the next long european weekend :-)

Posted by David Fisher <df...@jmlafferty.com>.
Andy,

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>.
I didn't know that this week is a short one in the US.
As Dave suggested, I can extend the vote till December 1. Will it be OK to you?

Yegor

Posted by Andy Oliver <ac...@gmail.com>.

Posted by navjamsster <ku...@in.ibm.com>.
when is POI 3.5 Final release?

Re: [VOTE] Release of POI 3.5-beta4

Posted by Paolo Mottadelli <pa...@gmail.com>.
I'd also mention the initial XWPF support.
We are finally able to create a .docx file. See example
src/examples/src/org/apache/poi/xwpf/usermodel/SimpleDocument.java

+1 for the release

Cheers,

Paolo Mottadelli: http://www.paolomottadelli.com

Re: [VOTE] Release of POI 3.5-beta4

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>.
It looks like people in the US may not have time to evaluate the release because this week is short.
With this in mind, I've decided to extend the vote deadline to Monday, December 1.

Yegor