Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by "Hohmann, Kurt D" <kh...@navisite.com> on 2016/11/18 19:23:28 UTC

500 Server Error occurs only in JMeter, same POST is successful when submitted manually

In my script, I'm using a JSESSIONID instead of a cookie; the JSESSIONID is extracted using a HTTP URL Re-writing Modifier and I can confirm that the correct value (the one which appears in the response data from the login page) is being applied in the Request.
e.g. POST https://qa67.ososinfo.org:446/Staff/staffdetail.xhtml;JSESSIONID=0655ca5420354753ae413984d34cfc27

I'm also using a VIEWSTATE, which I'm extracting prior to running the remainder of the test steps by using a Regular Expression Extractor and setting the resulting variable as a parameter in the HTTP Request,
e.g. javax.faces.ViewState=8d2%2BgOIseczB2FWSo74DqQfkmiYVaK73D8bnLTNWCx%2FB8EtE

The problem is that I'm hitting a Response code: 500 | Response message: Internal Server Error every time I attempt a post with all of the applicable data.

I tried running through the steps manually in a Firefox browser. I copied the contents of the Request tab from the failing page into a REST client, logged in using a separate tab of the same browser and grabbed the appropriate JSESSIONID and VIEWSTATE information, then posted with that info in place - and the manual post was successful.

Am I missing something? Is JMeter requiring something to accomplish this POST that a I'm not seeing in a manual attempt?

Happy to share any/all of what I'm seeing if it might be helpful in helping to troubleshoot.

Thanks,
Kurt

RE: 500 Server Error occurs only in JMeter, same POST is successful when submitted manually

Posted by "Hohmann, Kurt D" <kh...@navisite.com>.
Thanks very much for the help - I've gotten a lot farther as a result of your assistance (and learned a few things in the process).
1. I had not used Fiddler before, but I suspect I will be using it a lot more going forward. Nice tool.
2. After trying a few other parameters I observed as differences in Fiddler, I checked the "Use multipart/form data" option. That resolved a number of problems and got me all the way up to the Logout.

I'm still getting stuck on the Logout action, but I will open that as a separate issue if I can't get anywhere with my troubleshooting.

Thanks again!
Kurt

- do you have access to the server logs, to compare the successful request and the one that generates the 500 Server Error?
- you could try to intercept the two outgoing requests, with a proxy such as Webscarab or Fiddler, then compare them
- check/uncheck the "Use multipart/form data" option

Info you could provide to the mailing list:
- version of Jmeter and jdk/jre
- implementation used in your http sampler (3.1, 4, java)

best regards
Ivan

Posted by Ivan Rancati <iv...@gmail.com>.
Hello,