Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com> on 2001/03/01 06:08:15 UTC

Re: Base tag question

James Howe wrote:

> At 05:35 PM 2/26/2001 -0800, you wrote:
> >James Howe wrote:
> >
> > > Is there some reason why the base tag defined in the HTML tag library
> > > doesn't let you specify the optional target attribute?  I'm working with a
> > > frames based web application and I need to use both the href and target
> > > attributes.  I know I could subclass the custom base tag, but before I do,
> > > I was wondering if there was any particular reason why the standard Struts
> > > base tag does let the user specify the target.
> > >

> >I prefer not to support attributes that aren't in the official HTML 4.01
> >specs, and this is one of those.  You're welcome to support it yourself
> >in a subclass, however.
> >

> > > Thanks.
> >
> >Craig
>
> I thought target was part of the spec.  In looking at the spec on
> www.w3c.org, the following page specifically mentions the target attribute:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/links.html#edef-BASE
>
> However, the DTD does not mention the target attribute so I'm a bit
> confused.

That's what did me in ... I looked at the DTD and did not see it there without
reading the corresponding text (isn't that why the DTD stuff is highlighted in
color?  :-).  It's also described specifically as related to <base> in Section
16.3.1.  It's also listed explicitly in the attributes list:
<http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/index/attributes.html>

>  Perhaps target will be superceded by a style-sheet
> specification?  If you don't want to change the base tag implementation I
> will just plan on creating my own subclass.

I'll go ahead and add it (and also on the other supported tags as appropriate).

> Thanks.
>
> James W. Howe                   mailto:jwh@allencreek.com
> Allen Creek Software, Inc.              pgpkey: http://ic.net/~jwh/pgpkey.html
> Ann Arbor, MI 48103