Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> on 2019/07/10 19:41:24 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 11.1 [vote candidate 1]

Dear all,

This is our first voting candidate for the 11.1 release of Apache NetBeans.

Apache NetBeans 11.1 constitutes all clusters in the Apache NetBeans
Git repo, which together provide the NetBeans Platform (i.e., the
underlying application framework), as well as all the modules that
provide the Java SE, Java EE, PHP, JavaScript and Groovy features of
Apache NetBeans.

Build artefacts are available here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans/11.1-vc1/
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans-platform/11.1-vc1/

Included in the above are the DEPENDENCIES, DISCLAIMER, LICENSE, and
NOTICE files, as well as a README file with build instructions, which
are the same as these:
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/blob/release111/README.md

We are voting on:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans/11.1-vc1/netbeans-11.1-vc1-source.zip

SHA512:
7f49cfca8d27f2e08d0e5d9b4f61d70baddfdfa013f4a783feb2a1e203d7a1c7208321cdb0be7aa49d469c027e221999c8c0e4b9d911eec35a7d2e3cf8859466
 ./netbeans-11.1-vc1-source.zip

KEYS file:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/netbeans/KEYS

Apache NetBeans Git Repo tag: 11.1-vc1 :
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/tree/11.1-vc1

Note: NetBeans license violation checks are managed via the
rat-exclusions.txt file:
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/blob/release111/nbbuild/rat-exclusions.txt

Rat report shows no unknown licenses, except for license files:
https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/NetBeans/job/netbeans-release/423/artifact/rat-release-temp/nbbuild/build/rat-report.txt

Release specific wiki page:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Apache+NetBeans+11.1

How (and what) to try out with the release:

1. Download the artefact to be voted on and unzip it.
2. Check that the artefact does not contain any jar files, except for:
    - platform/autoupdate.services/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/api/autoupdate/data/empty.jar
    - enterprise/glassfish.common/test/unit/data/nottaDir-4_1_2.jar
    - enterprise/glassfish.common/test/unit/data/subdir/nottaDir-5.0.jar
    - enterprise/payara.common/test/unit/data/nottaDir-4_1_2.jar
    - enterprise/payara.common/test/unit/data/subdir/nottaDir-5.0.jar
    which are only jars by their name
3. Verify the cryptographic signatures, the NOTICE and LICENSE file
4. Build it using the README provided by the artefact.
5. Look in nbbuild/netbeans for the NetBeans installation created by
the build process.

This vote is going to be open at least 72 hours, vote with +1, 0, and
-1 as usual.  Please mark your vote with (binding) if you're a
NetBeans PMC member to help with voting admin.  NetBeans 11.1 will be
released if and when this vote passes.

Convenience binaries, not relevant for voting purposes, are staged at
the build artefacts links above.

Thank you for all the hard work!
And fingers X'd my first release voting thread is all correct - speak
up if there are any issues.

Best wishes,

Neil
Volunteer Release Manager for Apache NetBeans 11.1

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 11.1 [vote candidate 1]

Posted by Kai Uwe Pel <ka...@asia.com>.
+1
Built it by success... no issues with 11.1-vc1!

Thanks!
Kai

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 at 14:54, Alessandro <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Don't know if this matters a lot but the NOTICE file in the source archive
> is completely different from that on the git repository (copyright end
> year, additional license statements for Kotlin, IntelliJ IDEA, Struts,
> Jakarta Validator).

This is confusing but correct - the source and binary NOTICE files are
generated based on what is actually included.  We might have clusters
in the repository that are not in a particular source release.

The copyright year is annoying, and incorrect in 11.0 too - the fix
there missed a file - opened a JIRA ticket for 11.2.

Thanks and best wishes,

Neil

RE: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 11.1 [vote candidate 1]

Posted by Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)
 Sha512+asc check

Regards
Eric

(notice-stub.txt in nbbuild folder is used and not up to date)

Don't know if this matters a lot but the NOTICE file in the source archive is completely different from that on the git repository (copyright end year, additional license statements for Kotlin, IntelliJ IDEA, Struts, Jakarta Validator).

Steps:
- Verified sha512
- Unzipped source archives
- Verified LICENSE
- NOTICE file different from repo but okaish
- Compiled with OpenJDK8
- Run compiled binary with OpenJDK8

Further testing performed on convenience binary.

Regards,
Alex

Posted by Alessandro <al...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 at 07:52, Alessandro <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Neil explained that the NOTICE file in the zip is generated by an Ant task
> that takes nbbuild/notice-stub.txt as a header, the NOTICE file in the root
> of the repo is not going to be distributed.
> Maybe it would be better to delete it?

No, it has a different purpose - we should still have something in the
repository itself.  There is an argument for it being the same as in
the source bundle for every cluster though, so it covers the state of
the repository as a whole.

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 11.1 [vote candidate 1]

Posted by Alessandro <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi Laszlo,
  I already reported the NOTICE inconsistency.

Neil explained that the NOTICE file in the zip is generated by an Ant task
that takes nbbuild/notice-stub.txt as a header, the NOTICE file in the root
of the repo is not going to be distributed.
Maybe it would be better to delete it?

Greets,
Alex

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 at 23:54, Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here is it: https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/1370

Thanks!

> As of the date in the NOTICE file, we need to check the build as both on
> master and on release111 the NOTICE file is different than the one ended
> up in the zip and both has the correct year: 2019.

Yes, we both missed the use of notice-stub.  It's wrong in NB 11.0 too
which I hadn't noticed until now.

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 11.1 [vote candidate 1]

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 at 22:00, Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Having that in I cannot say +1 however I wish. I do not think that is a
> real blocker, so you can still overrule me with +1-s, as it seems to be
> a good release in every other aspect I've checked.

Well, as you've seen elsewhere, we have a critical issue in the vc
anyway, so I'm pulling this vote.  Thanks everyone who's voted so far,
and sorry we have to do this.

I'll get everything merged ASAP and do a beta4 for testing the fixes.

Thanks,

Neil

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 11.1 [vote candidate 1]

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
-1 (binding)

Posted by Josh Juneau <ju...@gmail.com>.
+1 ... The vc1 sources build without issue.  Verified files and signature.

Thanks for the hard work!

Josh Juneau
juneau001@gmail.com
http://jj-blogger.blogspot.com
https://www.apress.com/us/search?query=Juneau
<https://www.apress.com/index.php/author/author/view/id/1866>

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 11.1 [vote candidate 1]

Posted by Patrick Musembi <pa...@gmail.com>.
+1 I have been using apache Netbeans 11.1 for sometime and its working as
expected.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by huang kai <ib...@hotmail.com>.
+1
I've been using netbeans 11.1 for a while, it's good and functioning smoothly, I like it.

在2019年07月11,上午 3:41,Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> 写道:
Dear all, This is our first voting candidate for the 11.1 release of Apache NetBeans. Apache NetBeans 11.1 constitutes all clusters in the Apache NetBeans Git repo, which together provide the NetBeans Platform (i.e., the underlying application framework), as well as all the modules that provide the Java SE, Java EE, PHP, JavaScript and Groovy features of Apache NetBeans. Build artefacts are available here: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans/11.1-vc1/ https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans-platform/11.1-vc1/ Included in the above are the DEPENDENCIES, DISCLAIMER, LICENSE, and NOTICE files, as well as a README file with build instructions, which are the same as these: https://github.com/apache/netbeans/blob/release111/README.md We are voting on: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans/11.1-vc1/netbeans-11.1-vc1-source.zip SHA512: 7f49cfca8d27f2e08d0e5d9b4f61d70baddfdfa013f4a783feb2a1e203d7a1c7208321cdb0be7aa49d469c027e221999c8c0e4b9d911eec35a7d2e3cf8859466 ./netbeans-11.1-vc1-source.zip KEYS file: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/netbeans/KEYS Apache NetBeans Git Repo tag: 11.1-vc1 : https://github.com/apache/netbeans/tree/11.1-vc1 Note: NetBeans license violation checks are managed via the rat-exclusions.txt file: https://github.com/apache/netbeans/blob/release111/nbbuild/rat-exclusions.txt Rat report shows no unknown licenses, except for license files: https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/NetBeans/job/netbeans-release/423/artifact/rat-release-temp/nbbuild/build/rat-report.txt Release specific wiki page: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Apache+NetBeans+11.1 How (and what) to try out with the release: 1. Download the artefact to be voted on and unzip it. 2. Check that the artefact does not contain any jar files, except for: - platform/autoupdate.services/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/api/autoupdate/data/empty.jar - enterprise/glassfish.common/test/unit/data/nottaDir-4_1_2.jar - enterprise/glassfish.common/test/unit/data/subdir/nottaDir-5.0.jar - enterprise/payara.common/test/unit/data/nottaDir-4_1_2.jar - enterprise/payara.common/test/unit/data/subdir/nottaDir-5.0.jar which are only jars by their name 3. Verify the cryptographic signatures, the NOTICE and LICENSE file 4. Build it using the README provided by the artefact. 5. Look in nbbuild/netbeans for the NetBeans installation created by the build process. This vote is going to be open at least 72 hours, vote with +1, 0, and -1 as usual. Please mark your vote with (binding) if you're a NetBeans PMC member to help with voting admin. NetBeans 11.1 will be released if and when this vote passes. Convenience binaries, not relevant for voting purposes, are staged at the build artefacts links above. Thank you for all the hard work! And fingers X'd my first release voting thread is all correct - speak up if there are any issues. Best wishes, Neil Volunteer Release Manager for Apache NetBeans 11.1 --------------------------------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@netbeans.apache.org<ma...@netbeans.apache.org> For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@netbeans.apache.org<ma...@netbeans.apache.org> For further information about the NetBeans mailing lists, visit: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Mailing+lists