Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Slawomir Jaranowski <s....@gmail.com> on 2019/11/28 20:46:38 UTC

Logging api in plugins

Hi,

I'm writing some maven plugins - some for fun and with public code but more
maven plugins I'm writing for job in my company.

Maven from version 3.1.x use slf4j for logging.

But plugin api still use simple logging api
org.apache.maven.plugin.logging.Log.
It will be useful to have access to more richer feature of logging task.

What is the plan for future in this case?
 - extends  org.apache.maven.plugin.logging.Log in order to support slf4j
feature
 -  stop using/deprecating org.apache.maven.plugin.logging.Log and use in
plugins slf4j api for accesing loger.
 - maybe something else ...

--
 Best regards
 Sławomir Jaranowski

Re: Logging api in plugins

Posted by Slawomir Jaranowski <s....@gmail.com>.
pon., 2 gru 2019 o 09:52 Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>
napisał(a):

> On Thu, Nov 28, 2019 at 9:46 PM Slawomir Jaranowski
> <s....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm writing some maven plugins - some for fun and with public code but
> more
> > maven plugins I'm writing for job in my company.
> >
> > Maven from version 3.1.x use slf4j for logging.
> >
> > But plugin api still use simple logging api
> > org.apache.maven.plugin.logging.Log.
> > It will be useful to have access to more richer feature of logging task.
> >
> > What is the plan for future in this case?
> >  - extends  org.apache.maven.plugin.logging.Log in order to support slf4j
> > feature
>
> My personal experience suggests, that we shouldn't bind ourselves to a
> particular logging API. So, I'd go for this one.
>
> Jochen

I've looked a little more info about this topic and I found:
https://maven.apache.org/maven-logging.html
https://maven.apache.org/ref/3.5.3/maven-embedder/logging.html

So it is look like I can use slf4j directly - I hope i'm right.

And I think that question about future implementation to
org.apache.maven.plugin.logging.Log is still actual.

I've looked at code and when we will want to extend plexus logging it will
be a lot of work that are already done in slf4j.

--
Sławomir Jaranowski

Re: Logging api in plugins

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.