Posted to dev@nuttx.apache.org by Tim Hardisty <ti...@hardisty.co.uk> on 2023/03/02 19:24:10 UTC

VS Code debugging

I have been using VS code with a Segger Jlink for debugging so far but am struggling to find the cause of a problem in a driver I'm writing and I think the VS Code debug setup may be lacking.

Before I spend time getting openOCD installed and following the various guides for that, with NuttX, that exist, has anyone used VS Code to more thoroughly debug NuttX (threads, memory exceptions/errors) rather than just relying on breakpoints?

Thanks,

TimH

RE: VS Code debugging

Posted by Tim Hardisty <ti...@hardisty.co.uk>.
Thanks Bartok. Seems, as usual, I am Mr. DumbHead as I am already using a CortexA5.svd file and do, indeed, see Cortex registers. But IO am not 100% convinced the svd is totally right so I'm trying to track one down for the SAMA5D2 family.

What I can't do is trace the cause of an exception. The earliest entry in the call stack is:

arm_vectordata@0x200081a4

I am using that address, at least, to pinpoint the file at issue from the .map output, but no joy fixing it yet!

I am now looking at the PX4 debug files you suggested but some of the options aren't liked by my VS Code environment/extensions and they are not recognised by GDB (e.g. "backtrace" or "showtasks"). I can't manually type these commands in either so it suggests the set up isn't thread or task aware as I'd sort of twigged.

I will press on and hopefully find a solution to make the debugging environment more comprehensive.

Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

Re: VS Code debugging

Posted by Bartek22 <ba...@gmail.com>.