Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU> on 2004/07/27 05:35:02 UTC

Log message templates

I've seen about a half dozen requests for log message templates, a
feature CVS has which we don't.  Does anyone object if I file an
enhancement issue for them?

(I don't have in mind a good way to implement them, nor do I plan to
run out and implement them.)

Re: Log message templates

Posted by Kristis Makris <mk...@gmx.net>.
On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 22:35, Greg Hudson wrote:
> I've seen about a half dozen requests for log message templates, a
> feature CVS has which we don't.  Does anyone object if I file an
> enhancement issue for them?

Please go ahead and do that. If possible describe what would need to be
modified to implement them, since I need this feature and I am willing
to spend time trying to implement it.

Re: Log message templates

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Tue, 2004-07-27 at 00:35, Greg Hudson wrote:
> I've seen about a half dozen requests for log message templates, a
> feature CVS has which we don't.  Does anyone object if I file an
> enhancement issue for them?

+1

Re: Log message templates

Posted by Steve King <ic...@gmx.ch>.
C. Michael Pilato wrote:
> Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU> writes:
>
>>I've seen about a half dozen requests for log message templates, a
>>feature CVS has which we don't.  Does anyone object if I file an
>>enhancement issue for them?
>
> Sure.  Maybe make that issue depend on the solution to
> "server-dictated configuration options", since that's the way CVS does
> its commit templates.  Had we a generic mechanism for sending config
> stuffs from server to client, this would be low-hanging fruit.

Oh yes! Server-dictated config options is exactly what I would need
right now:
I was contacted by some guys who want to make TSVN integrate into their
bugtracking software. But whatever idea we come up with ends in the
missing feature of server-dictated config options:

- Adding the bug-ID/Issue-Number to the log message in a format so that
the bugtracker can parse it. Since each project can have a different
bugtracker this format should be stored somehow in a server config.
- Add the bug-ID/Issue-number as a special property to each file of a
commit (before the actual commit). The format of that property could
simply be the bug-ID/Issue-number, but I'd like it better configurable
per project.
- Starting the browser with the bug-ID(s) stored in the property of a
file and the bugtracker-URL. To prevent having the user enter the
bugtracker-URL of each project manually this should be stored on the
server too.

So you can see: all these informations/options should best be stored on
a per-project basis, and that would require server-dictated config options.

Just some thought for what this would be useful for too.

Stefan

Re: Log message templates

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.