Posted to user@accumulo.apache.org by Donald Miner <dm...@clearedgeit.com> on 2014/02/25 16:49:31 UTC

HDFS caching w/ Accumulo?

HDFS caching is part of the new Hadoop 2.3 release. From what I understand,
it allows you to mark specific files to be held in memory for faster reads.

Has anyone thought about how Accumulo could leverage this?

Re: HDFS caching w/ Accumulo?

Posted by John Vines <vi...@apache.org>.
It would provide better speed for failovers/migrations/cold starts. But
block cache is definitely something we would want to rely on more for
those, IMO

Re: HDFS caching w/ Accumulo?

Posted by Mike Drob <ma...@cloudera.com>.

Re: HDFS caching w/ Accumulo?

Posted by Mike Drob <ma...@cloudera.com>.

Re: HDFS caching w/ Accumulo?

Posted by John Vines <vi...@apache.org>.
I could see it being used for the metadata and root table files, at a
minimum. Also useful for other reused information in HDFS- tableId for
HdfsZooInstance, KeyEncryptionKey if that's being used. Maybe root/metadata
WALogs as well.

Re: HDFS caching w/ Accumulo?

Posted by Adam Fuchs <af...@apache.org>.
Maybe this could be used to speed up WAL recovery for use cases that demand
really high availability and low latency?

Adam