Posted to ddlutils-user@db.apache.org by Achille Carette <ac...@infonie.be> on 2006/03/13 14:26:13 UTC

Database-specific features

Hello,

We are writing an application that should support various database
management systems. We (would like to) use ddlutils to generate sql schema
creation scripts from an unique xml schema definition (maintaing a separate
script for each rdbms is a nightmare).

Unfortunately, the set of schema elements provided by ddlutils is quite poor
(for example, bitmap indexes or sequences are not known). Moreover,
database-dependent elements are not available (like Oracle's BLOB storage
options).

Is there any plan to support (and does this fit in DdlUtils's scope ?)
- bitmap indexes
- sequences (Oracle)
- named not null constraints
- platform-specific features (like asked in JIRA's DLLUTILS-28 issue).

Thanks,

Achille Carette
---------------------------
Aprico Consultants
http://www.aprico-consult.com
---------------------------

Re: Database-specific features

Posted by Thomas Dudziak <to...@gmail.com>.
On 3/13/06, Achille Carette <ac...@infonie.be> wrote:

> We are writing an application that should support various database
> management systems. We (would like to) use ddlutils to generate sql schema
> creation scripts from an unique xml schema definition (maintaing a separate
> script for each rdbms is a nightmare).
>
> Unfortunately, the set of schema elements provided by ddlutils is quite poor
> (for example, bitmap indexes or sequences are not known). Moreover,
> database-dependent elements are not available (like Oracle's BLOB storage
> options).
>
> Is there any plan to support (and does this fit in DdlUtils's scope ?)
> - bitmap indexes
> - sequences (Oracle)
> - named not null constraints
> - platform-specific features (like asked in JIRA's DLLUTILS-28 issue).

For the upcoming 1.0 release ( any-day-now(tm) ), we're focusing on
the basic features of creation, alteration and removal of tables and
basic relations. This means that we're not exceeding the current DTD.
Once the 1.0 is out, all these database-specific features are
certainly possible and wished for (e.g. DDLUTILS-28).
So, please feel free to add feature requests to JIRA.

cheers,
Tom