Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com> on 2008/07/29 19:48:49 UTC

Some Final Ideas/Questions About Fixed Asset Maintenance

My work on Fixed Asset Maintenance and the Asset Maintenance component
is nearly complete. I have a few remaining questions and ideas.

1. The trunk includes the new Asset Maintenance feature that
automatically assigns parties to the Fixed Asset Maintenance Work
Effort. If a party is related to the Fixed Asset in one of the
maintenance roles, then they are automatically assigned to the work
effort when a new maintenance is created. Should I move this feature to
Accounting->Fixed Assets?

2. The fixed asset maintenance status must be changed manually. I would
like to see the status updated automatically - based upon work effort
activity. When an assigned worker accepts a fixed asset maintenance work
effort, I'd like to see the maintenance status change to either
Scheduled or In Process. When all related work effort statuses are set
to Completed, I'd like to see the maintenance status set to completed.

3. The Fixed Asset has a field called dateLastServiced that must be
updated manually. I would like to see that field updated automatically
with the date that the most recent fixed asset maintenance was completed.

Let me know what you think.

-Adrian

Re: Some Final Ideas/Questions About Fixed Asset Maintenance

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@yahoo.com>.
> On Jul 29, 2008, at 11:48 AM, Adrian Crum wrote:
>
> > My work on Fixed Asset Maintenance and the Asset
> Maintenance
> > component is nearly complete. I have a few remaining
> questions and
> > ideas.
> >
> > 1. The trunk includes the new Asset Maintenance
> feature that
> > automatically assigns parties to the Fixed Asset
> Maintenance Work
> > Effort. If a party is related to the Fixed Asset in
> one of the
> > maintenance roles, then they are automatically
> assigned to the work
> > effort when a new maintenance is created. Should I
> move this feature
> > to Accounting->Fixed Assets?
>
> Are you saying that this is in WorkEffort now or something?
> If that is
> what you mean then I'd say it should be in the
> accounting component
> because in this case the FixedAsset stuff is using the
> WorkEffort
> stuff so FixedAsset is higher level than WorkEffort meaning
> that
> FixedAsset needs to know about WorkEffort, but WorkEffort
> doesn't need
> to know about FixedAsset. So, it should go in the
> FixedAsset area.

No, I was saying that I added the feature to the Asset Maintenance component, not WorkEffort.

Thanks for the replies on the other issues!

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Jul 29, 2008, at 11:48 AM, Adrian Crum wrote:

> My work on Fixed Asset Maintenance and the Asset Maintenance
> component is nearly complete. I have a few remaining questions and
> ideas.
>
> 1. The trunk includes the new Asset Maintenance feature that
> automatically assigns parties to the Fixed Asset Maintenance Work
> Effort. If a party is related to the Fixed Asset in one of the
> maintenance roles, then they are automatically assigned to the work
> effort when a new maintenance is created. Should I move this feature
> to Accounting->Fixed Assets?

Are you saying that this is in WorkEffort now or something? If that is
what you mean then I'd say it should be in the accounting component
because in this case the FixedAsset stuff is using the WorkEffort
stuff so FixedAsset is higher level than WorkEffort meaning that
FixedAsset needs to know about WorkEffort, but WorkEffort doesn't need
to know about FixedAsset. So, it should go in the FixedAsset area.

> 2. The fixed asset maintenance status must be changed manually. I
> would like to see the status updated automatically - based upon work
> effort activity. When an assigned worker accepts a fixed asset
> maintenance work effort, I'd like to see the maintenance status
> change to either Scheduled or In Process. When all related work
> effort statuses are set to Completed, I'd like to see the
> maintenance status set to completed.

Sounds good.

> 3. The Fixed Asset has a field called dateLastServiced that must be
> updated manually. I would like to see that field updated
> automatically with the date that the most recent fixed asset
> maintenance was completed.

Sounds good too as something to automate. The field is a little
funny... what does in mean in cases where there are multiple
maintenances that need to done on an asset and on different intervals?
Is this just the last date any maintenance was done on it? I guess
that's okay, as long as it is clear.

-David