Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Kevin Conaway <kc...@ucwphilly.rr.com> on 2002/09/25 03:46:43 UTC

Tomcat takes up too much memory

Hi,

I am attempting to run Tomcat 4.1.12 on an AMD 120 with 24mb of ram running linux 2.4.18 and when i startup Tomcat it spawns about 27 child processes each taking up about 62% memory (go figure how that works).  Am i doing something wrong or is my machine simply too slow to be running Tomcat?

Thanks

Kevin Conaway

Should tomcat use this much CPU?

Posted by Brandon Cruz <bc...@norvax.com>.
Should the CPU usage percentage in linux continue to increase as long as
Tomcat is running.  On a 1G processor with 512M Ram, it seems that the
memory usage is 90MB and the CPU usage is around 32% for only one of the
many java processes I see by using "ps aux".  Is this normal, does it mean
there is a problem with Tomcat, a problem with our application???

Re: Tomcat takes up too much memory

Posted by Josh G <jo...@gfunk007.com>.
Dude can you read? Perhaps you should try it before you start bagging people

> >Each tomcat process you see in top is a thread, they share memory, so all
> >together they use 62% of memory.

-Josh
--
And can you tell me doctor why I still can't get to sleep?
And why the channel 7 chopper chills me to my feet?

Posted by micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
Yah, dang it!  There you have 1,674% of memory being hogged by Tomcat.  You
guys have this figured to the T.  Kidding aside, I bet you are beginning to

Posted by Kent Perrier <kp...@ev1.net>.
On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 09:46:43PM -0400, Kevin Conaway wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am attempting to run Tomcat 4.1.12 on an AMD 120 with 24mb of ram running
> linux 2.4.18 and when i startup Tomcat it spawns about 27 child processes
> each taking up about 62% memory (go figure how that works).  Am i doing
> something wrong or is my machine simply too slow to be running Tomcat?

I would not say its too slow.  I would say it does not have enough
memory.  Upgrade your memory if you can.

Kent