Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by P Broussard <pb...@basspro.com> on 2009/10/12 21:07:38 UTC

Need some suggestions on this

I have subversion running on our dev server internally. Our production server is in the DMZ. The production server can't see the repositories because of the firewall. How do I get the contents of the Trunk on to the production server?

The big boss wont allow any inbound connections from the DMZ. :-(

RE: Need some suggestions on this

Posted by Jeremy Mordkoff <jl...@ZeeVee.Com>.

So why can't you do this on an internal system?

Checkout trunk from the production system
Checkout the new code from the development system
Use a tar pipeline to copy the files (exclude .svn)
  ( cd $dev && tar -c --exclude .svn -f - . ) | ( cd $prod && tar xf - )

Commit the files to the production server

RE: Need some suggestions on this

Posted by P Broussard <pb...@basspro.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Mordkoff <jl...@ZeeVee.Com>.

RE: Re: Need some suggestions on this

Posted by P Broussard <pb...@basspro.com>.
Thanks. I would have missed that -C option.

Now all I need to do is make a web interface to run the rsync.

Re: Need some suggestions on this

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
P Broussard wrote:
> I'm using Windows 2003 but I see that there is an rsync for it. DeltaCopy.
>
> From what I can tell, I should have DeltaCopy server running in the DMZ and the client running on the server with Subversion. Then I should be able to sync the files.
>
> I'm going to give this a try and see what happens.

Even if the 'staging' copy is on the same machine as where the
development changes are made, I'd still check out a separate working
copy and script the push to production (you can use the -C option to
rsync to avoid taking the .svn metadata directory).  That way you have
better control of the versions and won't accidentally pick up changes
that haven't been committed yet.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com

RE: Re: Need some suggestions on this

Posted by P Broussard <pb...@basspro.com>.

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
P Broussard wrote:
> I have subversion running on our dev server internally. Our production server is in the DMZ. The production server can't see the repositories because of the firewall. How do I get the contents of the Trunk on to the production server?
>
> The big boss wont allow any inbound connections from the DMZ. :-(

Make a staging location inside your firewall where you can update to
release versions (and perhaps do some testing), then use rsync over ssh
or other copy technique to push to the production server(s)with the
connections going the right direction.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com