Posted to dev@chukwa.apache.org by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/27 15:23:24 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Retire Chukwa from incubation

Hello guys,
I want to understand Chukwa community building strategy better. Are
there any insights why companies which use Hadoop (in Moscow those
include Deutche Bank, Yandex, Rambler and Microsoft) do not crowd
around or stay in line to get a chance to use Chukwa?

Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/
+7 916 562 8095

Re: [DISCUSSION] Retire Chukwa from incubation

Posted by Eric Yang <er...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alexei,

Chukwa started before Flume and Kafka started.  Flume community has
flourish with Cloudera behind it.  In my experience Flume has been more
fluid, and Chukwa has been more solid.  Chukwa can't swim in flume 1.2
branch because flume is becoming more like Chukwa.  Unfortunately, most of
Chukwa community don't get used to Flume syntax and centralized
configuration via ZooKeeper.  Kafka is a much younger project in comparison
to Chukwa or Flume.  I don't know much about scala but providing solid
scalable Java API on scala seems like a project of it's own right that
neither Kafka nor Chukwa community would be interested.

Chris has done the research in Apache, and did not find any possible
projects that would be a good fit to shelter Chukwa.

regards,
Eric

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
_Please Consider This Vote Thread Closed_

As chair, I feel confident that a [VOTE] was not the right step to
take at this time. Ongoing _discussion_ is entirely on point. I do not
think that it is appropriate to tally this thread and declare a
result. I am going to reply to this thread changing the subject to
[DISCUSS], and we'll see what we have in the way of a consensus.

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.