Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Eric Charles <er...@u-mangate.com> on 2011/04/04 08:49:52 UTC

Why HTableDescriptor DEFAULT_VERSIONS is 3?

Hi,

Is there a particular reason to have chosen 3 for
HTableDescriptor.DEFAULT_VERSIONS?
("not too low, not too big"? - I didn't find discussions about this).

Tks,
- Eric

Re: Why HTableDescriptor DEFAULT_VERSIONS is 3?

Posted by Joe Pallas <pa...@cs.stanford.edu>.
On Apr 4, 2011, at 10:48 AM, tsuna wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 10:40 AM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:
>> Want to make an issue to change it Joe?  (As Ryan says, no
>> justification that I remember other than that is how its always been).
>
> Personally I think that 3 is a good reasonable default.  Maybe most
> people don't really need 3 versions, but most of the time I'm sure
> they can pay for it, they won't even notice.  It can be a life-saver
> after you screw up to be able to get back to older versions...  If you
> truly have a "big data" problem (few people really do), then you
> probably will know what you're doing, and you'll tune the number of
> versions appropriately for your needs.

I've created HBASE-3730 so the pros and cons can be discussed in the JIRA.

joe

Re: Why HTableDescriptor DEFAULT_VERSIONS is 3?

Posted by tsuna <ts...@gmail.com>.

--
Benoit "tsuna" Sigoure
Software Engineer @ www.StumbleUpon.com

Re: Why HTableDescriptor DEFAULT_VERSIONS is 3?

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Want to make an issue to change it Joe?  (As Ryan says, no
justification that I remember other than that is how its always been).

St.Ack

Posted by Joe Pallas <pa...@cs.stanford.edu>.

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@u-mangate.com>.
Good to me as "de-facto" standard.

People should simply know that they will have 3 versions by default when
inserting data in hbase.
Tks,
- Eric

Posted by Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com>.