Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Tess Snider <ma...@terpalum.umd.edu> on 2003/10/22 18:19:45 UTC

Wildcards in subversion.conf file?

Background:
	I have a site where there are numerous unrelated groups working
	on different projects, and I would like for them to have separate
	repositories.  Project setup is fully automated.

Question:
	Is there a way to handle a large number of repositories, in a
	generic fashion, in the subversion.conf file?

	In Apache, it is possible to use wildcards in your virtual host
	definitions, and subsequently use the string that filled the
	wildcard as a substitution.  E.g. --

	    <VirtualHost *>
	        ServerAlias *.mywebserver.net
    	        VirtualDocumentRoot /whatever/%1/htdocs
	        VirtualScriptAlias /whatever/%1/cgi-bin
	    </VirtualHost>

	This way, a large number of websites can be added, without
	making any changes whatsoever to the httpd.conf file.  This has
	the advantage of keeping the httpd.conf file from getting
	ridiculously huge, and saves us from having to restart the
	webserver on a regular basis, as new projects are added.

	I was curious if there is a similar wildcard technique that
	can be used in the subversion.conf file, or if I'm going to
	be stuck creating an entry in subversion.conf for every single
	repository.  Any hints?

Thanks for your advice!

Tess

Re: Wildcards in subversion.conf file?

Posted by Tess Snider <ma...@terpalum.umd.edu>.
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Erik Huelsmann wrote:

> Did you look at chapter 5 of the svn book?

You know, I read right through that part, and for whatever reason, it just
didn't stick in my head.  Thanks for the pointer!

Tess

Re: GForgin' (was: Wildcards in subversion.conf file?)

Posted by Seth Falcon <sf...@fhcrc.org>.
Something that you might want to try, as an alternative to
mod_authz_svn, is using Apache's basic auth stuff with the LocationMatch
directive.

Using LocationMatch you can specify different permission schemes on a
per-repository basis (and even finer, although svn may not like that
particularly) and it should play fine with SVNParentPath.  But adding a
new project is still going to require an 'apachectl graceful' I believe,
does that count as "bouncing"?

As an aside, can anyone explain the pros/cons of using mod_authz_svn
over doing the permissions/authentication using Apache and something
like LocationMatch?

Here's an httpd.conf snippet of what I'm talking about w.r.t. to a non
mod_authz_svn setup:

    <LocationMatch "^/svn/repos/projA">
        AuthType Basic
        AuthName "Subversion repository"
        AuthUserFile /blah/passwd
        AuthGroupFile /blah/group
        <LimitExcept GET PROPFIND OPTIONS REPORT>
            Require group projA
        </LimitExcept>
        <Limit GET PROPFIND OPTIONS REPORT>
            Require group projA
            Require group projA_readers
        </Limit>
    </LocationMatch>

+ seth

<snip>

Posted by Tess Snider <ma...@terpalum.umd.edu>.
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Francois Beausoleil wrote:

> You'll need mod_authz_svn for that.  Take a look at
> http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/subversion/mod_authz_svn/INSTALL

Is that compatible with SVNParentPath?  I have heard reports that it's
not.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Let me explain what I'm trying to do here.  I've got a GForge repository
running on a dedicated server.  For those not familiar with it,
GForge is a lot like SourceForge (and descends from an old
SourceForge codebase).  Out of the box, GForge uses CVS.  My users are
going to be maintaining a lot of graphics and audio assets, and as we
all know, CVS doesn't handle binary files very well.  So, I'm trying to
hack Subversion support into my running GForge system.

So, here's the thought experiment:  If you suddenly had control of
SourceForge, and needed to replace CVS with Subversion, how would you
configure things?

Some requirements:
1.) Per-repository authorization.  The team on project A doesn't
	necessarily trust the team on project B (though the same user
	may be in both project A and project B).

2.) Per-repository permissions.  User X may have RW access to project A
	but only R access to project B.  Project C may be world-readable.

3.) Maximum stability.  I shouldn't, realistically, bounce the webserver
	every time a new project is added.

SVNParentPath appears to solve #3, and mod_authz_svn addresses #1 and #2,
but if they won't play nicely with each other, I'm still in a pickle.

Thanks again for everyone's quick responses!  You guys are great.

Posted by Francois Beausoleil <fb...@users.sourceforge.net>.
You'll need mod_authz_svn for that.  Take a look at
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/subversion/mod_authz_svn/INSTALL

Bye !
François

Posted by Tess Snider <ma...@terpalum.umd.edu>.

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net>.
Hi!

Did you look at chapter 5 of the svn book? It says:

"If you plan to support multiple Subversion repositories that will reside in
the same parent directory on your local disk, you can use an alternative
directive, the SVNParentPath directive, to indicate that common parent
directory. For example, if you know you will be creating multiple Subversion
repositories in a directory /usr/local/svn that would be accessed via URLs like
http://my.server.com/svn/repos1, http://my.server.com/svn/repos2, and so on, you
could use the httpd.conf  configuration syntax in the following example:"

Can be found at http://svnbook.red-bean.com/html-chunk/ch05s04.html

bye,

Erik.

Posted by Francois Beausoleil <fb...@users.sourceforge.net>.
Hello Tess,

You are searching for SVNParentPath, which tells mod_dav_svn to find all
repositories under one single path.

Hope that helps !
François