Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "David M. Rosner" <da...@recommend-it.com> on 2001/04/09 17:36:53 UTC

Using session id for load balancing

Hi All,

We use a Foundry Server Iron switch to load balance our Tomcat application
servers. I recently discovered that it uses IP addresses to determine which
server to send the user back to. Problem is many networks may use different
IP addresses for a single client for different requests.

The way around this is to configure my Server Iron to use the cookie that
Tomcat sets (jspsession) to determine which server to send the user to. But
if the user has shut off cookies then Tomcat will revert to URL rewriting.
My question is, how can I setup Tomcat so that even if it is using URL
rewriting on a session it will attempt to write the cookie anyway? Also,
I'd be interested in hearing other solutions from anyone else who is using
a load balancer.

Thanks!