Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Olivier Gusching <og...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/31 17:14:35 UTC

Failed to start apache ds on solaris

Hello

After a successful setup of apache ds on solaris, I tried to start it
and got some multiple errors like this one :

[17:02:34] ERROR
[org.apache.directory.server.core.partition.impl.btree.jdbm.JdbmPartition]
- Failed to close the record manager
java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/app/apacheds/var/partitions/example/master.lg (Permission denied)

The error seems to concern all the .lg files of the partitions/example
directory.

I tried to set my umask to get more default rights for file creation
but still got this error !

Any idea ?

Thanks in advance

regards

Olivier GUSCHING

Re: Failed to start apache ds on solaris

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Olivier Gusching wrote:
> Actually, I had set the access permissions to 777 for the var/
> directory and its subdirectories, to allow full access on the files
> that caused my problems.
>
> I just made a chmod -R 777 on the root install directory of apacheds,
> and now it starts fine.

What would be interesting to have is the scripts you used to install the
server on Solaris, as we don't have installer (yet) for this system
(sorry if I thought we had it...). Also a copy of the script which
launch the server would help fixing the problem too.

I'm not too confortable with the idea that someone is running ADS with
777 rights on Unix... ( 777 is as evil as 666 ;)

> Thanks for helping anyway :)

Our pleasure !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: Failed to start apache ds on solaris

Posted by Olivier Gusching <og...@gmail.com>.
Actually, I had set the access permissions to 777 for the var/
directory and its subdirectories, to allow full access on the files
that caused my problems.

I just made a chmod -R 777 on the root install directory of apacheds,
and now it starts fine.

I don't understand but now it's working. If I have some other problems
in my future deployments, I will repost here.

Thanks for helping anyway :)

Olivier GUSCHING

Posted by Olivier Gusching <og...@gmail.com>.
Well... as I remember... I downloaded the solaris sparc bundle (maybe
it's goot to tell that it was the 1.0.2 release since I read on the
apacheds site that the 1.5 is not fully stable - got to wait for the
2.0) and launched the install jar... everything went fine for the
install.

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
We have a Solaris installer now?  Coolio.

Alex

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Olivier Gusching <og...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Olivier Gusching wrote:
> Hello
>
> After a successful setup of apache ds on solaris, I tried to start it
> and got some multiple errors like this one :

I guess you installed the server using root and launched it with another
user ?
> [17:02:34] ERROR
> [org.apache.directory.server.core.partition.impl.btree.jdbm.JdbmPartition]
> - Failed to close the record manager
> java.io.FileNotFoundException:
> /app/apacheds/var/partitions/example/master.lg (Permission denied)
>
> The error seems to concern all the .lg files of the partitions/example
> directory.
>
> I tried to set my umask to get more default rights for file creation
> but still got this error !
>
> Any idea ?

Just chown -R the directory to the user under which you launch the
server, it might work.
> Thanks in advance

Hope it helps !

cordialement, regards,