Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ashok Sahu <as...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/11 12:27:48 UTC

Regarding migration to Tomcat from JRun

Hi All,

    We are planning to migrate our J2EE application from JRun 4.0 to Tomcat
5.0. Application is running fine in JRun. Please let me know, what changes
and modification I need to do for Tomcat server. Is there any documents
available regarding this?

    Is there any configuration I need to modify after deploying the .war
file in Tomcat like in web.xml or server.xml?
    Now in the web.xml of my application, following lines are there for
JRun:

         *<servlet>
            <init-param>
                <param-name>browseDirs</param-name>
                <param-value>false</param-value>*
*            </init-param>
            <servlet-name>FileServlet</servlet-name>
            <servlet-class>jrun.servlet.file.FileServlet</servlet-class>
            <description>This servlet may override a corresponding
FileServlet in SERVER-INF/default-web.xml.If removed, the servlet in
default-web.xml will be used.</description>*
*         </servlet>*
**
     What things here, I need to modify for Tomcat?

    Also in JRUN, for the data source "jrun-resources.xml" is used. Where I
need to do the same configuration for tomcat?

Thanks in advance.
Ashok

Re: Regarding migration to Tomcat from JRun

Posted by Rashmi Rubdi <ra...@gmail.com>.
There are some useful suggestions on a question that was answered previously:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/tomcat-users/200212.mbox/%3COFD3742ADA.7CCD8A0F-ON86256C83.0058B865@transentric.com%3E

The web.xml snippet you've shown looks standard. I don't think you
need to change anything there.

I think Tomcat version 5.0 follows the Servlet Specification 2.4 ,
which is standard. JRun also follows the spec but my have its own
proprietary additions. So check the standards for web.xml (for
whatever version of Tomcat you choose) and compare it with the web.xml
for JRun.

For the data source "jrun-resources.xml" , I don't think there's an
external data source file in Tomcat, here's details on configuring
JDBC Datasource:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.0-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html

You may need the corresponding JAR files etc.

Additional Tomcat 5.0 configuration are covered here:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.0-doc/config/index.html

If you have specific issues/questions while migrating, just ask.

-Rashmi