Posted to dev@ws.apache.org by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org> on 2010/11/26 18:16:55 UTC

[VOTE] Release WSS4J 1.5.10

To the Apache Web Services Community,

This is a call for votes for the wss4j-1.5.10 release. This release
contains an upgrade to use XML Security 1.4.4, some important fixes
for supporting chained certificates and processing SAML assertions, as
well as a couple of other issues.

The distribution was built from the following SVN tag;

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/webservices/wss4j/tags/1_5_10/

The distribution can be found at the following URL:

http://people.apache.org/~coheigea/stage/wss4j/1.5.10/dist/

You can also point maven at the following URL to pull down the 1.5.10
release POM, source, and class JARs:

http://people.apache.org/~coheigea/stage/wss4j/1.5.10/maven/

This vote will stay open for at least 72 hours.

Here is my +1 (binding).

Thanks,

Colm.

Re: [VOTE] Release WSS4J 1.5.10

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Monday 29 November 2010 12:17:22 pm Tom Jordahl wrote:
> So if this is true, Macromedia (my and Glen Daniels employer at the time)
> and now Adobe owns a copyright on Apache Axis code?  We just didn't ask
> the team to put this copyright in the code/NOTICE file?
>
> And Day (now Adobe) has copyrights on the JackRabbit code?
>
> And Sun (now Oracle) has copyrights on the tomcat code?
>
> But the license is all ASF....
>
> Really?

Yes.   Somewhat.

With the CCLA and ICLA's, it's SLIGHTLY different.   The patches on the JIRA
are specifically granted to Apache under  the terms of the Apache License
which includes the "maintain NOTICES" clauses.  (see Section 4, subsection b
of the the Apache License: http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.txt)

However, contributions directly from committers are under the terms of the
ICLA:
  http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt
which is NOT the Apache License.   It specifically says:

2. Grant of Copyright License. Subject to the terms and conditions of
   this Agreement, You hereby grant to the Foundation and to
   recipients of software distributed by the Foundation a perpetual,
   worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable
   copyright license to reproduce, prepare derivative works of,
   publicly display, publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute Your
   Contributions and such derivative works.

which makes no mention of maintaining or adding anything to the NOTICE files.
Thus, even if Adobe or Sun/Oracle or whomever wanted stuff added to the NOTICE
files about their copyrights, the above doesn't require that we maintain it.
Apache can pretty much do whatever they want with code contributed via the
ICLA, including completely relicensing it under a different license if they
wanted to.

Anyway, the important part is that it's a "Grant of Copyright License", not a
"Grant of Copyright".    The original author maintains the copyright.

Dan

> Tom Jordahl

Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org
http://dankulp.com/blog

RE: [VOTE] Release WSS4J 1.5.10

Posted by Tom Jordahl <tj...@adobe.com>.
Haven't changed my vote, still +1.

Tom

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.
Hi Tom,

Re: [VOTE] Release WSS4J 1.5.10

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Really. :)

RE: [VOTE] Release WSS4J 1.5.10

On Monday 29 November 2010 12:01:00 pm Tom Jordahl wrote:
> Arg!
>
> In order to submit a patch, isn't it a requirement that all rights of the
> patch be transferred over to the ASF?

No.   In fact, in almost no cases does code contributed to the ASF include the
copyright.    When I make a commit to any code at the ASF, I (or my employer
if I'm doing it as a work for hire) maintain the copyright on the code.
HOWEVER, as part of my ICLA and my companies CCLA, the ASF is granted a
license to use the code.

> I think we need to consult legal on this, because if the Innovation Center
> owns a copyright and/or license to the WSS4J code, that is not so good.

This is  no different.   They maintain the copyright.   However, when they
submitted it to the JIRA, they clicked on the tick box that says they "Grant
license to ASF for inclusion in ASF works (as per the Apache License §5)".
This is no different than the above.

Dan

> I would be -1 for accepting a patch that comes with copyrights.
>
> Tom Jordahl

Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org
http://dankulp.com/blog

Re: [VOTE] Release WSS4J 1.5.10

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Monday 29 November 2010 12:01:00 pm Tom Jordahl wrote:
> Arg!
>
> In order to submit a patch, isn't it a requirement that all rights of the
> patch be transferred over to the ASF?

No.   In fact, in almost no cases does code contributed to the ASF include the
copyright.    When I make a commit to any code at the ASF, I (or my employer
if I'm doing it as a work for hire) maintain the copyright on the code.
HOWEVER, as part of my ICLA and my companies CCLA, the ASF is granted a
license to use the code.

> I think we need to consult legal on this, because if the Innovation Center
> owns a copyright and/or license to the WSS4J code, that is not so good.

This is  no different.   They maintain the copyright.   However, when they
submitted it to the JIRA, they clicked on the tick box that says they "Grant
license to ASF for inclusion in ASF works (as per the Apache License §5)".
This is no different than the above.

Dan

> I would be -1 for accepting a patch that comes with copyrights.
>
> Tom Jordahl

Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org
http://dankulp.com/blog

RE: [VOTE] Release WSS4J 1.5.10

On Monday 29 November 2010 10:44:37 am Benson Margulies wrote:
> Do we really have to credit patches?

If they request it, yes.   They hold the copyright on the material in that
patch and, while they license it to us under the  Apache License, the Apache
License specifically states we need to keep notices intact that the copyright
holders request/require.

In this case, the submitter has asked that the copyright notice be in the
NOTICE.     Thus, we need to keep it there.

Dan

> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Tom Jordahl <tj...@adobe.com> wrote:
> > Conditional +1 (binding)
> >
> > I noticed that the NOTICE file has the following:
> >
> > "This product includes software Copyright University of Southampton IT
> > Innovation Centre, 2006 (http://www.it-innovation.soton.ac.uk)."
> >
> > I couldn't figure out what software this was - if I am using
> > wss4j-1.5.10.jar, do I have to worry about this?  This should be removed
> > or we should be clearer about what this means (i.e. what part do I need
> > to exclude if I ship a product with wss4j in it).
> >
> > Also, the date in the NOTICE file is 2009, probably should be 2010.
> >
> > I only examined the binary zip, did not try to build the source.
> >
> > Tom Jordahl

Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org
http://dankulp.com/blog

Re: [VOTE] Release WSS4J 1.5.10

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Monday 29 November 2010 10:44:37 am Benson Margulies wrote:
> Do we really have to credit patches?

If they request it, yes.   They hold the copyright on the material in that
patch and, while they license it to us under the  Apache License, the Apache
License specifically states we need to keep notices intact that the copyright
holders request/require.

In this case, the submitter has asked that the copyright notice be in the
NOTICE.     Thus, we need to keep it there.

Dan

> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Tom Jordahl <tj...@adobe.com> wrote:
> > Conditional +1 (binding)
> >
> > I noticed that the NOTICE file has the following:
> >
> > "This product includes software Copyright University of Southampton IT
> > Innovation Centre, 2006 (http://www.it-innovation.soton.ac.uk)."
> >
> > I couldn't figure out what software this was - if I am using
> > wss4j-1.5.10.jar, do I have to worry about this?  This should be removed
> > or we should be clearer about what this means (i.e. what part do I need
> > to exclude if I ship a product with wss4j in it).
> >
> > Also, the date in the NOTICE file is 2009, probably should be 2010.
> >
> > I only examined the binary zip, did not try to build the source.
> >
> > Tom Jordahl

Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org
http://dankulp.com/blog

Re: [VOTE] Release WSS4J 1.5.10

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release WSS4J 1.5.10

Posted by Ruchith Fernando <ru...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Tom Jordahl <tj...@adobe.com> wrote:
> Conditional +1 (binding)
>
> I noticed that the NOTICE file has the following:
>
> "This product includes software Copyright University of Southampton IT
> Innovation Centre, 2006 (http://www.it-innovation.soton.ac.uk)."
>
> I couldn't figure out what software this was - if I am using wss4j-1.5.10.jar, do I have to worry about this?  This should be removed or we should be clearer about what this means (i.e. what part do I need to exclude if I ship a product with wss4j in it).

FYI:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ws-fx-dev/200602.mbox/%3C20060216122235.40587.qmail@minotaur.apache.org%3E
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ws-fx-dev/200602.mbox/%3C20060216132935.84517.qmail@minotaur.apache.org%3E

Thanks,
Ruchith

http://ruchith.org

RE: [VOTE] Release WSS4J 1.5.10

Re: [VOTE] Release WSS4J 1.5.10

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Some build warmings for some day:

[WARNING]
[WARNING] Some problems were encountered while building the effective
model for org.apache.ws.security:wss4j:bundle:1.5.10
[WARNING] The expression ${pom.version} is deprecated. Please use
${project.version} instead.
[WARNING] The expression ${pom.version} is deprecated. Please use
${project.version} instead.
[WARNING] The expression ${pom.version} is deprecated. Please use
${project.version} instead.
[WARNING] The expression ${pom.version} is deprecated. Please use
${project.version} instead.
[WARNING]
[WARNING] It is highly recommended to fix these problems because they
threaten the stability of your build.
[WARNING]
[WARNING] For this reason, future Maven versions might no longer
support building such malformed projects.
[WARNING]

Re: [VOTE] Release WSS4J 1.5.10

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Re: [VOTE] Release WSS4J 1.5.10

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.
With 5 +1 binding votes, and no -1 votes, I declare this vote to have passed.

Colm.

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 5:16 PM, Colm O hEigeartaigh
<co...@apache.org> wrote:
> To the Apache Web Services Community,
>
> This is a call for votes for the wss4j-1.5.10 release. This release
> contains an upgrade to use XML Security 1.4.4, some important fixes
> for supporting chained certificates and processing SAML assertions, as
> well as a couple of other issues.
>
> The distribution was built from the following SVN tag;
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/webservices/wss4j/tags/1_5_10/
>
> The distribution can be found at the following URL:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~coheigea/stage/wss4j/1.5.10/dist/
>
> You can also point maven at the following URL to pull down the 1.5.10
> release POM, source, and class JARs:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~coheigea/stage/wss4j/1.5.10/maven/
>
> This vote will stay open for at least 72 hours.
>
> Here is my +1 (binding).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Colm.

Antwort: Re: Re: [VOTE] Release WSS4J 1.5.10

Posted by Ma...@fiducia.de.
Hello,

OK, I think there is too much to do with WSEncryptionPart for 1.5.10 or 11.
But 1.6 would be nice. I will checkout trunk later and work on this code,
using Java1.5 features. I think I can implement the solution with the
interface and two implementations of it . one with name and one with
classpath. Maybe even today, but it depends on how work I  have to do in my
job... :-)
But I will not commit it to the SVN - I will appand my solution proposals
in the JIRA-Task.

Greetings,
Marcin.

Von:	Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>
An:	dev@ws.apache.org
Datum:	29.11.2010 11:16
Betreff:	Re: Re: [VOTE] Release WSS4J 1.5.10

> I have a question - are my ideas for allowing the XPath-expression in the
WSEncryptionPart part of the 1.5.10-Version, or not?

No, they will either be in 1.5.11 or 1.6. Preferably the latter, as I'm
trying to restrict the number of new features that are getting in to 1.5.x,
as it's delaying the release of 1.6.

> I don't know for example if the code has to compile with java 1.4.

1.5.x must compile with JDK 1.4. Trunk (or the future 1.6 release) uses JDK
1.5.

Thanks,

Colm.

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 7:49 AM, <Ma...@fiducia.de> wrote:

      Hallo,

      I have a question - are my ideas for allowing the XPath-expression in
      the WSEncryptionPart part of the 1.5.10-Version, or not?
      I have begun to test it some more, and have some troubles with it. I
      can decode the message, but the signature check does not work then -
      some references are there, but the corresponding message parts are
      not. I work on it...
      And the other one - WSEncryptionPart contains a variable holding the
      ID of the encrypted parts. I think we need a list (vector?) of ids
      here, thus one WSEncryptionPart can describe more than one part now.
      Unfortunately I didn't have any time to evaluate it now. But the
      encryption works fine.

      I am quite new to this project and I don't know the backgrounds. So I
      don't want to commit my ideas. I don't know for example if the code
      has to compile with java 1.4. With Java 1.5 we would have generict
      making a lot of things easier (the vectors could be typed, so we
      don't have to cast anymore...). I would like to change the
      WSEncryptionPart - new Interface and a new implementation besides the
      current WSEncryptionPart which would implement this new interface.
      This would make the search for described document parts easier.

      And one more thing: WSS4J now uses a DOM document. Axis2 uses AXIOM.
      Maybe we should make an version for axis2 that uses AXIOM too. I have
      the problem, that if I use attachments, with contentId and
      optimization flag for MTOM, this informations are thrown away by the
      conversion between AXIOM and DOM. I have to restore them later. And
      the attachments are part of the DOM tree as base64 encoded strings
      blowing the memory usage. In AXIOM they are streams...

      Greetings,
      Marcin Markiewicz

      Inaktiv: Details verbergen für Daniel Kulp ---28.11.2010
      18:57:41---+1 DanDaniel Kulp ---28.11.2010 18:57:41---+1 Dan

      Von: Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
      An: dev@ws.apache.org
      Kopie: Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>
      Datum: 28.11.2010 18:57
      Betreff: Re: [VOTE] Release WSS4J 1.5.10

      +1

      Dan

      On Friday 26 November 2010 12:16:55 pm Colm O hEigeartaigh wrote:
      > To the Apache Web Services Community,
      >
      > This is a call for votes for the wss4j-1.5.10 release. This release
      > contains an upgrade to use XML Security 1.4.4, some important fixes
      > for supporting chained certificates and processing SAML assertions,
      as
      > well as a couple of other issues.
      >
      > The distribution was built from the following SVN tag;
      >
      > http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/webservices/wss4j/tags/1_5_10/
      >
      > The distribution can be found at the following URL:
      >
      > http://people.apache.org/~coheigea/stage/wss4j/1.5.10/dist/
      >
      > You can also point maven at the following URL to pull down the
      1.5.10
      > release POM, source, and class JARs:
      >
      > http://people.apache.org/~coheigea/stage/wss4j/1.5.10/maven/
      >
      > This vote will stay open for at least 72 hours.
      >
      > Here is my +1 (binding).
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Colm.

      Daniel Kulp
      dkulp@apache.org
      http://dankulp.com/blog

      Fiducia IT AG
      Fiduciastraße 20
      76227 Karlsruhe

      Sitz der Gesellschaft: Karlsruhe
      AG Mannheim HRB 100059

      Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Gregor Scheller
      Vorsitzender des Vorstands: Michael Krings
      Stellv. Vorsitzender des Vorstands: Klaus-Peter Bruns
      Vorstand: Jens-Olaf Bartels, Hans-Peter Straberger

      Umsatzsteuer-ID.Nr. DE143582320, http://www.fiducia.de

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 08:49, <Ma...@fiducia.de> wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> I have a question - are my ideas for allowing the XPath-expression in the WSEncryptionPart part of the 1.5.10-Version, or not?
> I have begun to test it some more, and have some troubles with it. I can decode the message, but the signature check does not work then - some references are there, but the corresponding message parts are not. I work on it...
> And the other one - WSEncryptionPart contains a variable holding the ID of the encrypted parts. I think we need a list (vector?) of ids here, thus one WSEncryptionPart can describe more than one part now. Unfortunately I didn't have any time to evaluate it now. But the encryption works fine.
>
> I am quite new to this project and I don't know the backgrounds. So I don't want to commit my ideas. I don't know for example if the code has to compile with java 1.4. With Java 1.5 we would have generict making a lot of things easier (the vectors could be typed, so we don't have to cast anymore...). I would like to change the WSEncryptionPart - new Interface and a new implementation besides the current WSEncryptionPart which would implement this new interface. This would make the search for described document parts easier.
>
> And one more thing: WSS4J now uses a DOM document. Axis2 uses AXIOM. Maybe we should make an version for axis2 that uses AXIOM too. I have the problem, that if I use attachments, with contentId and optimization flag for MTOM, this informations are thrown away by the conversion between AXIOM and DOM. I have to restore them later. And the attachments are part of the DOM tree as base64 encoded strings blowing the memory usage. In AXIOM they are streams...

I don't think that forking WSS4J to support Axiom is a good idea. I
think the better approach is to have an Axiom implementation that
directly implements DOM (i.e. that doesn't require conversion), but
that doesn't suffer from the limitations of the current Axiom DOM
(DOOM) implementation. I'm working on such a project [1] for the
moment.

Note that MTOM is tricky anyway. I recently read that in CXF this is
also not working in a satisfactory way. To get this working correctly
with WSS4J may indeed require some kind of object model specific
(plain SAAJ or Axiom+DOM) handling in WSS4J.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/ddom/

> [...]

compile with java 1.4. With Java 1.5 we would have generict making a lot of
things easier (the vectors could be typed, so we don't have to cast
anymore...). I would like to change the WSEncryptionPart - new Interface
and a new implementation besides the current WSEncryptionPart which would
implement this new interface. This would make the search for described
document parts easier.

And one more thing: WSS4J now uses a DOM document. Axis2 uses AXIOM. Maybe
we should make an version for axis2 that uses AXIOM too. I have the
problem, that if I use attachments, with contentId and optimization flag
for MTOM, this informations are thrown away by the conversion between AXIOM
and DOM. I have to restore them later. And the attachments are part of the
DOM tree as base64 encoded strings blowing the memory usage. In AXIOM they

Von:	Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
An:	dev@ws.apache.org
Kopie:	Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>
Datum:	28.11.2010 18:57
Betreff:	Re: [VOTE] Release WSS4J 1.5.10

Re: [VOTE] Release WSS4J 1.5.10

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
+1

Dan

On Friday 26 November 2010 12:16:55 pm Colm O hEigeartaigh wrote:
> To the Apache Web Services Community,
>
> This is a call for votes for the wss4j-1.5.10 release. This release
> contains an upgrade to use XML Security 1.4.4, some important fixes
> for supporting chained certificates and processing SAML assertions, as
> well as a couple of other issues.
>
> The distribution was built from the following SVN tag;
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/webservices/wss4j/tags/1_5_10/
>
> The distribution can be found at the following URL:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~coheigea/stage/wss4j/1.5.10/dist/
>
> You can also point maven at the following URL to pull down the 1.5.10
> release POM, source, and class JARs:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~coheigea/stage/wss4j/1.5.10/maven/
>
> This vote will stay open for at least 72 hours.
>
> Here is my +1 (binding).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Colm.

Daniel Kulp