Posted to user@spark.apache.org by bluishpenguin <bl...@gmail.com> on 2016/11/17 03:55:22 UTC

Configure spark.kryoserializer.buffer.max at runtime does not take effect

Hi all,
I would like to configure the following setting during runtime as below:

spark = (SparkSession
    .builder
    .appName("ElasticSearchIndex")
    .config("spark.kryoserializer.buffer.max", "1g")
    .getOrCreate())

But I still hit error,
Caused by: org.apache.spark.SparkException: Kryo serialization failed:
Buffer overflow. Available: 0, required: 1614707. To avoid this, increase
spark.kryoserializer.buffer.max value.

It works when configure it along with the spark-submit command as below:
spark-submit pyspark-shell-main --name "PySparkShell" --conf
spark.kryoserializer.buffer.max=1g

Any idea what have I done wrong?

Thank you.

Re: Configure spark.kryoserializer.buffer.max at runtime does not take effect

Posted by kant kodali <ka...@gmail.com>.
yeah I feel like this is a bug since you can't really modify the settings
once you were given spark session or spark context. so the work around
would be to use --conf. In your case it would be like this

./spark-shell --conf spark.kryoserializer.buffer.max=1g

Posted by Koert Kuipers <ko...@tresata.com>.