Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Al...@euroclear.com on 2006/07/25 17:02:43 UTC

Cannot protect with Valve Tomcat 5.5.17 Manager Application ( WindowsEnvironment - JRE 5.0)

I am trying to use the Tomcat facility ( on Windows Server) that restricts

Web Access to an ip address - in our case I want the Tomcat Manager
application to be available
only from a Web Browser on the Tomcat server itself.

I have updated the file Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
5.5\server\webapps\manager

<Context docBase="${catalina.home}/server/webapps/manager"
         privileged="true" antiResourceLocking="false"
antiJARLocking="false">

  <!-- Link to the user database we will get roles from -->
  <ResourceLink name="users" global="UserDatabase"
                type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase"/>
  <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.remoteAddrValve"
allow="127.0.0.1"/>

</Context>

However it does not have any effect. I can still remotely access the
Manager application

When I try to move( as documented by Tomcat) the Context definition into
the Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.5\conf\server.xml
definition, I get a ClassNotFound java exception for
org.apache.catalina.valves.remoteAddrValve in the bootstrap process  - I
checked the class is located in  Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\Tomcat 5.5\server\lib\catalina-optional.jar.
Because its the bootstrap process I guess the Classloader process may not
be initialized fully. I tried to add the Jar file in the Windows CLASSPATH

variable without success.

Many thks for anybody's help !

Attached the logged error when context with valve is added to the
server.xml file

INFO: Server startup in 0 ms
Jul 25, 2006 2:39:38 PM org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester
startElement
SEVERE: Begin event threw exception
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.catalina.valves.remoteAddrValve
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.ObjectCreateRule.begin(ObjectCreateRule.java:204)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Rule.begin(Rule.java:152)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.startElement(Digester.java:1275)
        at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.startElement(Unknown

Source)
        at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractXMLDocumentParser.emptyElement(Unknown

Source)
        at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(Unknown

Source)
        at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDispatcher.dispatch(Unknown

Source)
        at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown

Source)
        at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown

Source)
        at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown

Source)
        at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
        at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown

Source)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.parse(Digester.java:1561)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load(Catalina.java:489)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load(Catalina.java:523)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.load(Bootstrap.java:266)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:431)
Jul 25, 2006 2:39:38 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina load
WARNING: Catalina.start using conf/server.xml:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.catalina.valves.remoteAddrValve
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.createSAXException(Digester.java:2725)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.createSAXException(Digester.java:2751)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.startElement(Digester.java:1278)

Re: [OT?] is there a way to map an application URL on tomcat like: http://a.com/app1 to http://app1.a.com/

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
When starting a new thread (ie sending a message to the list about a
new topic) please do not reply to an existing message and change the
subject line. To many of the list archiving services and mail clients
used by list subscribers this  makes your new message appear as part
of the old thread. This makes it harder for other users to find
relevant information when searching the lists.

This is known as thread hijacking and is behaviour that is frowned
upon on this list. Frequent offenders will be removed from the list.
It should also be noted that many list subscribers automatically
ignore any messages that hijack another thread.

The correct procedure is to create a new message with a new subject.
This will start a new thread.

Mark
tomcat-user-owner

[OT?] is there a way to map an application URL on tomcat like: http://a.com/app1 to http://app1.a.com/

Posted by David Gagnon <dg...@siunik.com>.
Hi all?

  I have seen this on the website of a Saas supplier yesterday and I was
wondering if it was possible to do it with Tomcat.  When you go on their
website and they assign you an application to the url:
http://yourcompany.saassupplier.com.

I was wondering if this could be used with tomcat application?  For sure
it means using a kind of proxy to convert  http://a.com/app1 to
http://yourcomagny.saassupplier.com  but I have no Idea how this can be
done.

Any idea ?
Thanksfor your help !
/David

Re: Tomcat5.5 and IIS 6.0 problem

Posted by Pulkit Singhal <pu...@gmail.com>.
   - JK connector
      - ISAPI Redirector:
isapi_redirect.msi<http://tg-corpserver.cup.hp.com:8080/corpwiki/attach?page=TomcatConnectors%2Fisapi_redirect.msi>is
an Installer package for IIS 5 and later Web Server that takes care of
      all the configuration
steps<http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc-archive/jk2/jk/iishowto.html#Configuring%2520the%2520ISAPI%2520Redirector>for
you. The conf steps page that is hyperlinked here is actually archived
      under the jk2 connector but its really the same steps that the
jk connector
      seems to be taking neway.

Posted by Pulkit Singhal <pu...@gmail.com>.
i didn't touch the subject line...i have no clue what u r talkign about

Tomcat5.5 and IIS 6.0 problem

Posted by Uday K Sarvasiddhi <ud...@in.ibm.com>.
Hi ,

[...]

Re: Cannot protect with Valve Tomcat 5.5.17 Manager Application ( WindowsEnvironment - JRE 5.0)

Posted by Al...@euroclear.com.
Thanks Christopher for your response.

Stupid oversight. I corrected the r to R in the classname, but I got then
another exception when the context was specified in server.xml

Jul 26, 2006 10:11:34 AM org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester
endElement
SEVERE: End event threw exception
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.IntrospectionUtils.callMethod1(IntrospectionUtils.java:898)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.SetNextRule.end(SetNextRule.java:192)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Rule.end(Rule.java:228)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.endElement(Digester.java:1057)
        at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.endElement(Unknown
Source)
        at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanEndElement(Unknown
[...]
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: addChild:  Child name
'null' is not unique
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:749)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:739)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:524)
        ... 25 more

However I discovered that the manager.xml file that I updated without any
impact  in
Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat5.5\server\webapps\manager
also resides in Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\Tomcat5.5\conf\Catalina\localhost.
I added the Valve tag there in the context and it works... Problem
solved... I guess Whats under server is the non-deployed application
source
and under conf the deployed one( I am new to tomcat). If someone would
confirm me that or explain why we have 2 copies of the same files, I would
appreciate... Thks again to those who responded.

Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
07/25/2006 05:14 PM
Please respond to
"Tomcat Users List" <us...@tomcat.apache.org>

Tomcat Users List <us...@tomcat.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Re: Cannot protect with Valve Tomcat 5.5.17 Manager Application (
WindowsEnvironment - JRE 5.0)

Alain,

>   <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.remoteAddrValve"
> allow="127.0.0.1"/>

<snip>

> I get a ClassNotFound java exception for
> org.apache.catalina.valves.remoteAddrValve in the bootstrap process

It looks like you have a lowercase 'r' instead of an uppercase 'R' in
your class name. It should be "RemoteAddrValve".

-chris

Re: Cannot protect with Valve Tomcat 5.5.17 Manager Application ( WindowsEnvironment - JRE 5.0)

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Alain,

>   <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.remoteAddrValve"
> allow="127.0.0.1"/>

<snip>

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Goddag Alain-

In your doGet doPost or service methods you can interrogate the IP of the invoking CLIENT via the HttpServletRequest with
HttpServletRequest.getRemoteAddr()

Bedankt,
Martin --