Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Flávio Castro <al...@paradigma.com.br> on 2004/02/11 15:43:57 UTC

Problem using JNI(loadLibrary), Servlet and Tomcat

I'm having a problem using servlets and maybe some of you can help me to
figure out what's going on. Here's the deal: I have a servlet that loads
a C library and uses some of these C native methods. In addition, I have
some JSPs that invoke the routines contained in this servlet. My C
application has some peculiarities: it can work either in a interactive
way or in a non-interactive way. When I invoke it in the non-interactive
way and provide it all the input needed, I have no problems at all.
That's how it is working today. When I try to invoke my C application in
a interactive way and try to establish a "conversation" between my C
application and the JSPs, everything also seems to work fine. The
nightmare begins when two or more users try to use this application in a
interactive way at the same time. If I have two browsers working at the
same time and accessing this application, the system just doesn't work
correctly. It seems that since you begin to run the application from a
browser, you can't run it again until the previous user has finished his
work. From what I've talked with other people and from my experience,
the only thing I could conclude is that Tomcat can't handle very well
those "multi-task" operations. It seems that it throws a thread for each
request that is made, but you have only one process in charge of the
whole thing. I suppose that's why I'm having these problems. Does anyone
have any idea of what it could be ? Have any of you noticed a similar
problem before ? Could it be a tomcat configuration issue ? Some people
suggested to use JavaBeans to solve this problem, have any of you tried
this approach before ?

Thanks in advance.

Flávio Castro.