Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Milind Vaidya <ka...@gmail.com> on 2017/04/14 19:14:20 UTC

Version compatibility and flush() in Kafka Producer

Is Kafka Producer 0.9.0 compatible with 0.8.* brokers ?

 I could not conclude to tried it out myself.

I tried using that setup, which works, in the sense messages to come
through on consumer side.

But with new producer I was trying to user flush() call to force sending of
messages from the producer. This call is blocking forever. Any suggestions
to get rid of that ? or this is due to incompatibility ?

Thanks

Re: Version compatibility and flush() in Kafka Producer

Posted by "Matthias J. Sax" <ma...@confluent.io>.
0.9 clients cannot connect to 0.8 brokers.

If you want to upgrade to 0.9, you first need to upgrade your brokers to
0.9 -- your running 0.8 clients will be able to connect to 0.9 brokers.
Afterwards, you can update your clients to 0.9, too.

Btw: since 0.10.2, clients are backward compatible to 0.10.0 and 0.10.1
brokers (bot not to 0.9 or older brokers).

-Matthias