Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Sahoo <Sa...@sun.com> on 2008/03/16 10:29:03 UTC

Is a version like 1.4.1-ea-SNAPSHOT considered SNAPSHOT version?

A/c to http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Versioning,
1.4.1-ea-SNAPSHOT results in a qualifier=ea-SNAPSHOT. Is this still
considered a SNAPSHOT? What I mean by that is, if a new binary is posted
in repository, will maven still download it just like it does for a
SNAPSHOT version? If not, what's the best way to indicate "early access
build" in a version string. I am using maven 2.0.7.

Thanks,
Sahoo

Re: Is a version like 1.4.1-ea-SNAPSHOT considered SNAPSHOT version?

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Sahoo wrote:
> A/c to http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Versioning,
> 1.4.1-ea-SNAPSHOT results in a qualifier=ea-SNAPSHOT. Is this still
> considered a SNAPSHOT? What I mean by that is, if a new binary is posted
> in repository, will maven still download it just like it does for a
> SNAPSHOT version? If not, what's the best way to indicate "early access
> build" in a version string. I am using maven 2.0.7.

Yes, it's considered a snapshot.

Any version ending -SNAPSHOT is a snapshot. Actually, some bits of
Maven's code treat anything ending in SNAPSHOT as a snapshot, so
"1fooSNAPSHOT" would be considered a snapshot - but using such version
numbers would be unwise.

Max.

Re: Is a version like 1.4.1-ea-SNAPSHOT considered SNAPSHOT version?

Posted by Sahoo <Sa...@Sun.COM>.
Simon,

Thanks for taking time to explain. Yes, I agree it's a bad practice to
use -SNAPSHOT for binaries released to testing team.

What is a good use case for SNAPSHOT? I am still not convinced why
x.y.z-ea-SNAPSHOT is bad, may be it's not clear in my mind yet. I was
thinking the following is a fitting use case for using such a scheme:

Project version being developed: x.y.z
Next deliverable: "early access"
So, team decides to cut a branch called x.y.z-ea so that a small pool of
developers work off that branch to produce a stable ea build while the
majority of the developers continue off the x.y.z branch.
Let's say the team promotes binaries every week. Those builds are called
x.y.z-ea-bN (N being a number). Between week N and N+1, the builds are
likely to be called x.y.z-ea-bN-SNAPSHOT. Who needs these SNAPSHOTs?
Typically developers of the project.

Do you agree, or would you call them something like
x.y.z-bN-<Timestamp>? If latter is the case, when would one use SNAPSHOT?

Thanks,
Sahoo

Posted by "simon.kitching@chello.at" <si...@chello.at>.

Posted by Sahoo <Sa...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by "simon.kitching@chello.at" <si...@chello.at>.

Posted by David Delbecq <de...@oma.be>.
I think, as a manager of a project, when i see in the dependencies of a
projet :
<version>1.4.1.25</version>,
i just consider project depends on release 1.4.1.25. On the other hand,
if i see
<version>1.4.2-rc4</version>
my instinct tells me to check for 1.4.2 instead (for stability purposes)

Now, a good question is, what's the point of having both ea and SNAPSHOT
tags in a version from the library user point of view :D
If user sees SNAPSHOT, he clearly know he is playing with instable yet
to change version ;)

En l'instant précis du 16/03/08 19:40, Wayne Fay s'exprimait en ces termes:
> You missed my point. I am asking you, what is the purpose of "early
> access"? Can you not simply say "version 1.4.1.25 is the early access
> build"?
>
> I simply do not believe in using "early access" or "release candidate"
> as components of the version tag itself. To me, these identifiers are
> orthogonal to the versioning itself. I retain the right to be proven
> otherwise.
>
> Wayne
>
> On 3/16/08, Sahoo <Sa...@sun.com> wrote:
>
>> How else would one qualify a build as "early access?" Let's think of
>> this hypothetical case:
>> if some project team decides to make the "early access" build as a
>> stable build, then how can they specify it? At some point of time, they
>> would like to cut a branch in source code repository that's used to
>> development of "early access" build where as the main line is used for
>> development of the final release. During such active development of
>> "early access" build, what version number can they use?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sahoo
>>
>> Wayne Fay wrote:
>>
>>> What's the difference between 1.4.1-ea-SNAPSHOT and 1.4.1-SNAPSHOT?
>>> That is, what is the actual utility of the "early access" tag?
>>>
>>> Personally, I've always been dubious of these kinds of tags.
>>>
>>> Wayne

David Delbecq
Institut Royal Météorologique
Ext:557

Re: Is a version like 1.4.1-ea-SNAPSHOT considered SNAPSHOT version?

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sahoo <Sa...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.