Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de> on 2004/05/23 21:28:23 UTC

META plugin for 2.4-dev

Hi,

[as I'm not actively working on the 2.4-dev tree, I'm a bit hesitant
to check code in without talking to the active developers].

I did a fair bit of work, some bug fixes and lots of docs for the
plugin on the 2.3-dev tree.

Basically, the plugin is now turbine-release independent. All that
would be necessary to get it working on 2.4-dev is someone sitting
down and creating a few templates for project.xml and all the other
files needed for a 2.4 skeleton (I understand that the web.xml file
has more parameters than on 2.3 and you need at least a pipeline
definition file, which is not needed in 2.3).

In the end, I'd like to see the plugin decoupled from the turbine tree
itself and having it as its own subproject CVS @ jakarta. Mainly
because it _is_ turbine independent, as long as the templates (aka
flavors) are up to date.

Eric: If you want to bring the HEAD code back in sync: This is now a
good time. Except for bug fixes, I feel that the plugin itself and its
documentation is now stable enough to get more testing.

	Regards
		Henning

"Fighting for one's political stand is an honourable action, but re-
                                    Open Source Software Development"

RE: META plugin for 2.4-dev

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Hi,

saw your message, will work on this when I come back from holidays in
two weeks. Thanks for the suggestions.

	Regards
		Henning

On Sun, 2004-05-30 at 16:02, Eric Pugh wrote:
> Henning,
>
> I would love to see the migration made, however, the 2.4 tree shouldn't have
> any real changes.  I tried to get the code to merge, but I think I was
> rapidly on my way to make a real hash of things...  I did check out the
> latest and greatest of the Turbine_2_3 branch and really like what I see!
>
> So, since 2.4 really shouldn't require any major changes, would you be
> willing to forward port the 2.3 version of the plugin to HEAD?  And then I'd
> be happy to modify the pluign to add the various
> /plugin-resources/conf/turbine-2.4-dev,
> /plugin-resources/maven/turbine2.4-dev etc directories?
>
> My CVS kungfu when it comes to merges has produced disasters in the past!
>
> One more thing though..  While I like the ability to store the template in
> the /plugin-resources, I think you should flip the dependencies on their
> head somewhat..   While having a directory like /images sharing the images
> is nice, I would rather see:
>
> /plugin-resources/turbine-2.3/conf
> /plugin-resources/turbine-2.3/images
> /plugin-resources/turbine-2.3/[other folders]
> /plugin-resources/turbine-2.4/conf
> /plugin-resources/turbine-2.4/images
> /plugin-resources/turbine-2.4/[other folders]
>
> That way, I can add simply:
> /plugin-resources/myCompany/conf
> /plugin-resources/myCompany/images
> /plugin-resources/myCompany/[other folders]
>
> and everything is in one location versus spreadout.  Also, I can see
> templates, schema, etc changing between versions as well.
>
> The same sort of applies to the plugin.jelly and plugin.properties in the
> /plugin directory...
>
> Maybe the directory structure should be:
> /maven-plugin/src/turbine-2.3/plugin
> /maven-plugin/src/turbine-2.3/plugin-resources
>
> /maven-plugin/src/turbine-2.4/plugin
> /maven-plugin/src/turbine-2.4/plugin-resources
>
> That way, I could tie into 2.4 the various meta data generation tasks for
> Avalon components etc that require a plugin.jelly call but aren't applicable
> to 2.3.   And, it gets us another step closer to a generic application
> template plugin...
>
> Eric

RHCE - Consultant - Jakarta Turbine Development  - hero for hire

RE: META plugin for 2.4-dev

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.
Henning,