Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gk...@apache.org> on 2007/07/08 12:15:51 UTC

Re: Lenya and Cocoon 2.2

solprovider@apache.org pisze:

> Lenya 1.4 is using Cocoon 2.1.x.  Lenya 1.4 is long overdue; let it be
> released with Cocoon 2.1.
>
> Working against development versions of dependencies is insane.  The
> Lenya project has had problems because the devs keep upgrading to the
> latest versions of dependencies.  We cannot know if something broke
> because of a commit to Lenya or an upgrade to a dependency.

I agree with you that depending on snapshots is usually really bad idea. In Cocoon we have policy that released version cannot depend on
unreleased artifacts, see: http://reflectingonthevicissitudes.wordpress.com/2007/06/06/cocoon-22-rc1-release-delayed/

> I push to choose a certain release of each dependency when a new
> version is started, then do not upgrade any dependencies unless a
> specific feature in a dependency is necessary for the project.  I have
> a branch that I paused last year; I will upgrade the dependencies to
> the latest gold versions when I return to the work (probably August or
> September) and then not change any until after a release.  That will
> likely include Cocoon 2.1.10.  Cocoon 2.2 is not even mentioned on the
> Cocoon home page.

It's wise to stick to Cocoon 2.1.x for a Lenya 1.4 because it's near a release date. Cocoon 2.2 brings a lot of new functionality but
upgrading will demand some non-trivial adjustments so it makes sense to upgrade for next Lenya version.

When it comes to mentioning Cocoon 2.2 on Cocoon's home page you must know that refreshed site is prepared that uses completely new design
and publishing mechanisms. Thus old site is untended. Official Cocoon 2.2 release is almost here:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.cocoon.devel/73899 (Reinhard is little busy so we may need to wait a few more days to have an
official announce)

> Java 1.6 has several standard features that will make Cocoon much
> simpler (like the compiler API.) Cocoon releases twice each year.
> Does the Cocoon project upgrade the dependencies while developing a
> release?  Is Java 1.6 even being considered?  (I hope not because I
> need Cocoon to run with Java 1.4 for two projects.)

There was debate on development list about Cocoon's 2.2 compatibility with Java 1.4. Even though, that many developers (including me) wanted
to make Cocoon 2.2 compatible with Java 1.5+ we could not agree and as for now Cocoon 2.2 is supposed to work with Java 1.4.

Can you explain how you see Java's compiler API making Cocoon much simpler? It's not so obvious for me.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski

Re: Lenya and Cocoon 2.2

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
solprovider@apache.org escribió:
> On 7/15/07, Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net> wrote:
>> solprovider@apache.org escribió:
>> > Lenya does not fully work if compiled
>> > with Java 1.5.
>> Hi, Which version are you talking about?
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Antonio Gallardo.
>
> I don't know.  I am just moving to Java 1.5 now as I am building a new
> PC for development.  (I am finishing the installation this week.)  I
> would have to read the mailing lists.  IIRC, Java 1.5 was an issue
> through 1.2.4.  I am not certain if there are issues with 1.2.5 or 1.4
> (now 2.0).  I am currently deleting all the email generated by
> Bugzilla during the renaming.
FYI, Lenya 1.2.5 released on Feb 27th, 2007compiles and run without
problems with java 1.5. :)

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/lenya/branches/BRANCH_1_2_X/INSTALL-SRC.txt?r1=512112&r2=523184&pathrev=523184&diff_format=h

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: Lenya and Cocoon 2.2

Posted by so...@apache.org.
On 7/15/07, Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net> wrote:
> solprovider@apache.org escribió:
> > Lenya does not fully work if compiled
> > with Java 1.5.
> Hi, Which version are you talking about?
>
> Best Regards,
> Antonio Gallardo.

I don't know.  I am just moving to Java 1.5 now as I am building a new
PC for development.  (I am finishing the installation this week.)  I
would have to read the mailing lists.  IIRC, Java 1.5 was an issue
through 1.2.4.  I am not certain if there are issues with 1.2.5 or 1.4
(now 2.0).  I am currently deleting all the email generated by
Bugzilla during the renaming.

solprovider

Re: Lenya and Cocoon 2.2

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.

On 7/8/07, Grzegorz Kossakowski <gk...@apache.org> wrote:
> solprovider@apache.org pisze:
> When it comes to mentioning Cocoon 2.2 on Cocoon's home page you must know that refreshed site is prepared that uses completely new design
> and publishing mechanisms. Thus old site is untended. Official Cocoon 2.2 release is almost here:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.cocoon.devel/73899 (Reinhard is little busy so we may need to wait a few more days to have an
> official announce)

I have a fork of Lenya, officially recognized as 1.3.  There have only
been very minor contributions from others.  I should returning to
working on it soon.  (The last 12 months have been very busy.)  I will
upgrade the dependencies before I start working.  Cocoon 2.2 will be
ready?

> > Java 1.6 has several standard features that will make Cocoon much
> > simpler (like the compiler API.) Cocoon releases twice each year.
> > Does the Cocoon project upgrade the dependencies while developing a
> > release?  Is Java 1.6 even being considered?  (I hope not because I
> > need Cocoon to run with Java 1.4 for two projects.)
>
> There was debate on development list about Cocoon's 2.2 compatibility with Java 1.4. Even though, that many developers (including me) wanted
> to make Cocoon 2.2 compatible with Java 1.5+ we could not agree and as for now Cocoon 2.2 is supposed to work with Java 1.4.
>
> Can you explain how you see Java's compiler API making Cocoon much simpler? It's not so obvious for me.
>
> Grzegorz Kossakowski

There is a difference with being compatible with Java 1.5 and 1.6 and
requiring one of those versions.  Compatibility means the program will
compile and run properly using later versions.  Sun claims forward
compatibility always exists, but maintains lists of changes that may
be required when upgrading.  Lenya does not fully work if compiled
with Java 1.5.

New features cannot be used until the new version becomes a
requirement.  I found issues compiling classes using Java 1.4's assert
command because the Java 1.4 compiler needs "-source 1.4".  The Java
1.4 compiler does not understand Java 1.5's generics.  Java 1.6's
compiler API cannot be used without requiring Java 1.6.

Cocoon dynamically compiles classes.  I cannot know using Java 1.6
will simplify this functionality without research and probably
programming it, but using standard functions should be simpler than
custom code and would remove two libraries.

solprovider