Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Jagane Sundar <ja...@sundar.org> on 2012/03/06 19:40:21 UTC

Need help with getting some patches for 1.0.2 reviewed

Hey folks,

I have a couple of patches to the 1.0 branch that I would like to shepherd through the process. I'm not entirely familiar with the process, so bear with me..

- I have a backport of HADOOP-5836 for the 1.0 branch that I have uploaded to jira. This is a no-code-change, just a re-spin patch.
- I have a patch for for HADOOP-8136 that does have actual code changes. I have uploaded the patch to jira - of course it did not apply properly since it needs the above mentioned patch for HADOOP-5836 to be applied first.

So, my questions are:
1. How do I tell the patch-o-matic system that my patch for HADOOP-8136 needs the patch for HADOOP-5836 applied first?
2. Would somebody kindly review the patch for jira HADOOP-8136?
3. I believe that Matt is the RM for the 1.0 branch. Hey Matt - can I work with you on these two patches?
4. I think the patch for HADOOP-8136 will apply easily to trunk and 0.23.x. Can I wait till the review for branch 1.0 is complete before I port to trunk and 0.23.x and make that available?

Thanks for your help folks, and keep up the good work!
Jagane

RE: Need help with getting some patches for 1.0.2 reviewed

Posted by Jagane Sundar <ja...@sundar.org>.
Thanks for taking the time to review this patch, Suresh.

I did not have a full understanding of the route that patches take these days. I understand now - trunk first, then backport to stable branches such as 1.x, 0.22, 0.23 etc.
I will generate a patch for trunk forthwith.

Jagane
> I have a couple of patches to the 1.0 branch that I would like to shepherd
> through the process. I'm not entirely familiar with the process, so bear
> with me..
>
> - I have a backport of HADOOP-5836 for the 1.0 branch that I have uploaded
> to jira. This is a no-code-change, just a re-spin patch.

I have committed this to branch-1. Most likely picked up for 1.1.

> - I have a patch for for HADOOP-8136 that does have actual code changes. I
> have uploaded the patch to jira - of course it did not apply properly since
> it needs the above mentioned patch for HADOOP-5836 to be applied first.

Can you please attach the patch for trunk. The route to 1.x release is,
first a patch gets committed to trunk and then it gets back ported to 1.x
release.

> So, my questions are:
> 1. How do I tell the patch-o-matic system that my patch for HADOOP-8136
> needs the patch for HADOOP-5836 applied first?

5836 must already be in there. Or you have to have consolidated patch.

2. Would somebody kindly review the patch for jira HADOOP-8136?

Will do. Once you attach trunk patch and it goes through Jenkins.

> 3. I believe that Matt is the RM for the 1.0 branch. Hey Matt - can I work
> with you on these two patches?

You have an email on 1.0.2 thread. If you get 8136 done for the trunk, I
can port it to branch-1.

Regards,
Suresh

Re: Need help with getting some patches for 1.0.2 reviewed

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>.