Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> on 2004/02/16 13:41:30 UTC

[5.0.19] Release vote

<ballot>
Release 5.0.19 as Stable:
[ ] Yes
[ ] No
</ballot>

Rémy

Re: [5.0.19] Release vote

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
So I will anounce Tomcat 5.0.19 and 4.1.30 on monday. What about 3.3.2,
BTW ?

Rémy

RE: [5.0.19] & webdav

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
The change was as a result of bug 22108.

The example web app was trying to do two things:
 - be an 'normal' web app with an index page
 - be an example of a working webdav directory

Essentially, there isn't a configuration for servlet mapping that enables both
of the above to work reliably across a range of clients. The example has been
configured so webdav always works. The welcome file list is over-ridden by the
servlet mapping so there is no point setting one. The upshot of this is that a
request for / will show a directory listing rather than the index page.

Mark

Re: [5.0.19] Release vote

Posted by Ankur Shah <to...@optonline.net>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Guenter Knauf wrote:
>
>> just found another small issue (seen on Linux and Win32) - the link
>> on the Tomcat main page to webdav now produces a directory listing
>> rather than call index.html
>

> This is normal as well.

I noticed it this morning, as well (on Solaris 8 and 9). Just out of
curiousity, why is the welcome-file-list for webdav "disabled"?

-- A

Re: [5.0.19] Release vote

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Guenter Knauf wrote:
>> This is as intended, and is indeed a change in behavior. I
>> understand it could cause trouble for some applications, but is a
>> lot cleaner and more efficient.
>
> but it prevents to move applications from TC4 to TC5 since they dont
> work out-of-the-box as before, f.e. *.war. isnt there a setting to
> archive the old behaviour??

No. You're the first to ask, which means there's virtually no demand for
this, and the new behavior solves long standing issues.
I don't think anybody ever said TC 5 would run any webapp unchanged.
There were a significant amount of spec clarifications and behavior
changes (I might add the new behaviors are all needed changes).

>>> other than that, I've tested with a few other apps which work
>>> fine so far...
>
> just found another small issue (seen on Linux and Win32) - the link
> on the Tomcat main page to webdav now produces a directory listing
> rather than call index.html

This is normal as well.

Rémy

Re: [5.0.19] Release vote

Posted by Guenter Knauf <ef...@gmx.net>.
Hi Remy,
>> two things I found (which are probably older bugs, seen them with
>> 5.0.18 too):
>>
>> - if I call snoop.jsp directly through Tomcat I get 'Content length:
>> -1' while through mod_jk2 I get 'Content length: 0'

> Both are acceptable, but -1 is more accurate.
ok.

>> - redirection to the welcome file doesnt work properly. With TC4 it
>> seems that there happens a redirection to the location of the welcome
>> file, while with TC5 it looks more that the file is fetched and
>> served from base location

> This is as intended, and is indeed a change in behavior. I understand it
> could cause trouble for some applications, but is a lot cleaner and more
> efficient.
but it prevents to move applications from TC4 to TC5 since they dont work out-of-the-box as before, f.e. *.war.
isnt there a setting to archive the old behaviour??

>> other than that, I've tested with a few other apps which work fine so
>> far...
just found another small issue (seen on Linux and Win32)
- the link on the Tomcat main page to webdav now produces a directory listing rather than call index.html

Guenter.

Re: [5.0.19] Release vote

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
Posted by Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>.

--
Jess Holle

Re: [5.0.19] Release vote

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Re: [5.0.19] Release vote

Posted by Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>.
Tomcat 5.0.19 seems to work well enough.

One question, though.

I'm now seeing the following messages as I test my application:

    *Feb 17, 2004 4:59:34 PM org.apache.jk.common.HandlerRequest
    decodeRequest
    WARNING: Error registering request*
    Feb 17, 2004 4:59:38 PM org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler action
    INFO: Response already commited

Re: [5.0.19] Release vote

Posted by Jeanfrancois Arcand <jf...@apache.org>.

Remy Maucherat wrote:

> <ballot>
> Release 5.0.19 as Stable:
> [ X] Yes
> [ ] No
> </ballot>

All Servlet/JSP tcks passes with/without validation/security. I've fixed
a minor jmx problem that should not stop the release.

-- Jeanfrancois

Re: [5.0.19] Release vote

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Guenter Knauf wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> <ballot> Release 5.0.19 as Stable: [x] Yes [ ] No </ballot>
>
> tested that it starts fine and that the samples work on: SuSE Linux
> 7.0 + 8.2 mod_jk2 JVM Sun 1.4.2_03 Novell NetWare 6.5 mod_jk2 JVM Sun
> 1.4.2_02 Novell NetWare 6.0 mod_jk2 JVM Sun 1.4.1_05 Win2K SP4
> mod_jk2 JVM Sun 1.4.2_03 WinXP SP1 mod_jk2 JVM Sun 1.4.2_03

Thanks for the testing.

> two things I found (which are probably older bugs, seen them with
> 5.0.18 too):
>
> - if I call snoop.jsp directly through Tomcat I get 'Content length:
> -1' while through mod_jk2 I get 'Content length: 0'

Both are acceptable, but -1 is more accurate.

> - redirection to the welcome file doesnt work properly. With TC4 it
> seems that there happens a redirection to the location of the welcome
> file, while with TC5 it looks more that the file is fetched and
> served from base location

This is as intended, and is indeed a change in behavior. I understand it
could cause trouble for some applications, but is a lot cleaner and more
efficient.

> other than that, I've tested with a few other apps which work fine so
> far...

Oki.

Rémy

Re: [5.0.19] Release vote

Posted by Ankur Shah <to...@optonline.net>.
FWIW, tested a couple of my own webapps with Solaris 8 and Solaris 9 +
Sun JVM 1.4.2_03 (no apache) without problem.

-- A

Re: [5.0.19] Release vote

Posted by Guenter Knauf <ef...@gmx.net>.
Hi,

Re: [5.0.19] Release vote

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> <ballot>
> Release 5.0.19 as Stable:
> [X] Yes
> [ ] No
> </ballot>

This build seems ok overall. (I'll move it for mirrorring)

Rémy

RE: [5.0.19] Release vote

Posted by "Filip Hanik (lists)" <de...@hanik.com>.
<ballot>
Release 5.0.19 as Stable:
[X] Yes
[ ] No
</ballot>

Clustering had a major configuration change, but is much more cleaner now.
Next step is to make it configurable. But it remains stable.

Filip