Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Younes Naguib <Yo...@tritondigital.com> on 2016/01/26 17:00:54 UTC

ctas fails with "No plan for CreateTableAsSelect"

Hi,

I'm running CTAS, and it fails with "Error: java.lang.AssertionError: assertion failed: No plan for CreateTableAsSelect HiveTable...."
Here what my sql looks like :
Create tbl (
Col1          timestamp ,
Col2         string,
Col3          int,
)
partitioned by (year int, month int, day int)
stored as parquet
location 'hdfs://...
as select.....
;

The select by itself works.

I'm running spark 1.6.

Younes

RE: ctas fails with "No plan for CreateTableAsSelect"

Posted by "Yu, Yucai" <yu...@intel.com>.
As per this document: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/LanguageManual+DDL#LanguageManualDDL-CreateTableAsSelect(CTAS), Hive CTAS has the restriction that the target table cannot be a partitioned table.
Tejas also pointed out you has no need specify the column information as it is derived from the result of SELECT statement, so the correct way to write a CTAS is like Hive’s CTAS example:

CREATE TABLE new_key_value_store
   ROW FORMAT SERDE "org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.columnar.ColumnarSerDe"
   STORED AS RCFile
   AS
SELECT (key % 1024) new_key, concat(key, value) key_value_pair
FROM key_value_store
SORT BY new_key, key_value_pair;

It works well in Spark/beeline also.

Thanks,