Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au> on 2003/11/15 02:29:17 UTC

filename for cocoon-latest.* on mirror.cgi

Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> I just added the current version information to the mirror page,
> so when you go to that page, you see to which version "latest"
> relates.
>
> Thanks for the hint.

That is a bit better, but Andrew hints at other issues. When they
download the archive, then the filename just says "latest" on their
disk. Sure, they should just rename it with a version number.

He also refers to the problem when you browse the "cocoon/" directory
"Latest releases and milestones" there may be confusion. Why do we need
the "latest"? They can easily see by the date and version number.

I suppose that it adds one more task to our release process to modify
the mirror.html page.

--David

RE: filename for cocoon-latest.* on mirror.cgi

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
David Crossley wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> > I just added the current version information to the mirror page,
> > so when you go to that page, you see to which version "latest"
> > relates.
> >
> > Thanks for the hint.
>
> That is a bit better, but Andrew hints at other issues. When they
> download the archive, then the filename just says "latest" on their
> disk. Sure, they should just rename it with a version number.

Yes, I know that he meant that - as a quick solution I added the
version to the page to not break anything that might perhaps
rely in the "latest" naming scheme.

> He also refers to the problem when you browse the "cocoon/" directory
> "Latest releases and milestones" there may be confusion. Why do we need
> the "latest"? They can easily see by the date and version number.
>
> I suppose that it adds one more task to our release process to modify
> the mirror.html page.

I'm personally fine with removing the "latest" naming, but I don't know
if there is something out there relying on it (but I guess this is not
the case).

Carsten