Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Jay Kraly <ja...@perspectivesoftware.com> on 2003/03/16 02:14:00 UTC

james pop3 returns messages out of order?

I'm using jwebmail and james to view my mail through a wap browser and
through a normal browser.  I've noticed that the list of messages shows
up in seemingly random order.  With debug on I watched the pop3 logs
from james as jwebmail requested messages and it looked like it was
requesting the total # of items, and then doing a list on each one by
position.  So if there were 87 messages, it would ask for 87, 86, 85,
and so on.  The problem is that this order doesn't follow the dates on
each message and changes over time.

My question is, how does james sort the messages and might this be
broken when using the file store for mailboxes?  Also, maybe James is
doing the right thing by not caring about the order and jwebmail should
be sorting some other way?

I'm using james 2.1.2, jwebmail 0.7.10 (if it matters), j2sdk1.4.1_02,
and redhat linux.

Thanks for any help

-J

RE: james pop3 returns messages out of order?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Jay,

During a POP3 transaction, the mailbox is represented by a vector.  The
contents of the vector are established when handling PASS, and are only
changed by RSET.  Other than that, the order should not change during a
session.

If you see anything in RFC 1939 that dictates the order within which a POP3
server should present messages, let us know.  The UIDL command is used to
provide messages with a unique identity.

I did a quick grep of jwebmail.  It uses JavaMail, which ought to issue the
UIDL for the client, but I don't see jwebmail making any use of the message
UID.  You might ask Sebastian Schaffert <schaffer AT informatik DOT
uni-muenchen DOT de> about it.

	--- Noel