Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org> on 2004/01/09 16:53:17 UTC

[merlin] release candidate update 3.2.4

The current candidate for release is 3.2.3. This includes the resolution
and validation of the unix scripts together and a couple of bug fixes
that came up during the evaluation period.  Earlier this week Timothy
Bennett reported a problem concerning improper handling of an
UndeclaredThrowableException within a composite component.

Corrections addressing this were applied to CVS head and the 3.4 branch.
  I have just completed updating of 3.2.3 to include the corresponding
update under a new branch named RELEASE_3-2-3-BIS relative to the
RELEASE_3-2-3 tag.  The changes have been committed and are tagged as
RELEASE_3-2-4.

Changes include the following:

   * correction to the block proxy to properly handle an
     UndeclaredThrowableException

   * bump package versions:

       - activation impl 1.2.4 --> 1.2.5
       - merlin-impl 3.2.2 --> 3.2.3
       - merlin-cli 3.2.2 --> 3.2.3
       - merlin-plugin 3.2.3 --> 3.2.4
       - merlin-unit 3.2.8 --> 3.2.9

   * update merlin-unit version reference in tutorials

   * update install documentation and command line scripts
     to reference bumped versions

Updated jars and binary distribution have been posted to DPML and ibiblio.

    http://dpml.net/merlin/distributions/3.2.4

Stephen.

Re: [merlin] release candidate update 3.2.4

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>> A packaging defect (missing meta file) has been spotted by Timothy
>> with the 3.2.4 binary.  An updated 3.2.4-bis has been uploaded to:
>>
>>   http://dpml.net/merlin/distributions/3.2.4-bis
>

> Dumb question, that may already have been asked as over time I've become
> mostly a random lurker here: why aren't those releases hosted at Apache?

Once the a product release has been voted on and the PMC has voted to
publish the release, the release is placed onto Apache hardware.  Prior
to that the DPML facilities provide an environment under which
activities can proceed relative to (a) "Merlin BackOffice" - the
intelligent server side of the repository system, and (b) experiments
related to secure repository policy management and content delivery.

Cheers, Stephen.

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
hammett wrote:
> [...]

it's common practice to put 'non-official' releases on asf hardware as
well (for example, in a user home directory). Various reasons for that I
guess.

I think the answer Sylvain is looking for is: because Steve is the
release manager and he likes to have the candidates on a different
machine for unpublished reasons. I've nudged him to change the habit
once or twice, but it doestn't really bother anyone :D

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons

Re: [merlin] release candidate update 3.2.4

Posted by hammett <ha...@uol.com.br>.
> Dumb question, that may already have been asked as over time I've become
> mostly a random lurker here: why aren't those releases hosted at Apache?

Cause its not an official release yet.

regards,
hammett

Re: [merlin] release candidate update 3.2.4

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
A packaging defect (missing meta file) has been spotted by Timothy with
the 3.2.4 binary.  An updated 3.2.4-bis has been uploaded to:

   http://dpml.net/merlin/distributions/3.2.4-bis

Cheers, Steve.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Timothy Bennett wrote:
> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>> The current candidate for release is 3.2.3. This includes the
>> resolution and validation of the unix scripts together and a couple of
>> bug fixes that came up during the evaluation period.  Earlier this
>> week Timothy Bennett reported a problem concerning improper handling
>> of an UndeclaredThrowableException within a composite component.
>>

> Have just downloaded the 3.2.3 release candidate and tested it.  Fixes
> my exception problem across composite components.  Thanks for the quick
> turnaround, Steve!
>
> Now... as soon as I can get an option to switch off component proxies,
> I'll be ready to take my commercial server up to merlin 3.2.x!

It's actually possible already (just not documented because it not what
I would call a general production solution).  If you take a copy of the
generated .xinfo file for the component that needs to bypass proxy
isolation, place it in a directory somewhere (such as src/etc), then ...
add the following attributes declaration:

   <type>
     <info>
       :
       <attributes>
         <attribute key="urn:activation:proxy" value="false"/>
       </attributes>
       :
     </info>
     :
   </type>

Then update your project.xml to include the xinfo file in src\etc as a
resource

   <build>
     :
     <resources>
       <resource>
         <directory>${basedir}/src/etc</directory>
         <includes>
           <include>**/*.xinfo</include>
         </includes>
       </resource>
     </resources>
   </build>

This is basically a workaround to the fact that the current avalon-meta
tags implementation do not provide support for the declaration of
arbitrary attributes.

Cheers, Steve.

Posted by Timothy Bennett <ex...@comcast.net>.