Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by js...@odshp.com on 2000/12/08 15:35:54 UTC

Re: Question...(Tomcat and JSSI)

Jeff Turner says:
> Depends what you mean by SSI. I'm referring to mod_include SSIs:
>  <!--#element attribute=value attribute=value ... -->
> I suspect this is what the original poster meant.

Yes, that is what I'm looking at.  There are several good ways to do
this sort of thing, I realize.  I'm looking at an existing application
and wondering if there's a simple way to just drop it in to a
Apach/Tomcat setup.  I'm also wonder how other folks do these things,
given that Apache can do simple plain text/as-is includes on its own,
since I will be adding to this application.

Thanks

Jeff Sexton
ODS Health Plans
jsexton@odshp.com

Re: Question...(Tomcat and JSSI)

Posted by Hans Bergsten <ha...@gefionsoftware.com>.
Jeff Turner wrote:

> I'd guess most people let Apache serve *.html, and therefore Apache
> handles NCSA-style SSIs.

Probably, but if that's the only reason to complicate life by using
both Apache and Tomcat, it would be nice if we can remove that reason ;-)
But note that JSSI's support for NCSA SSI is not complete and I have not
done (and do not plan to, personally) anything more in that area than what's
already there.

But another reason for porting JSSI to Tomcat is to allow people to
move applications that rely on <servlet> tags and migrate them to
JSP (or whatever) over time instead of being forced to do it before
using Tomcat.

> Hans Bergsten recently proposed on tomcat-dev:
>
> "After seeing a number of users on the TC user list asking about support
> for <servlet> tags and NCSA SSI directives, I decided to port Apache
> JSSI to Tomcat. Now it's basically done for TC 3.2, and the question is
> what to do with it ;-)"
>  -- http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=97639878200002&w=2&r=1
>
> Great! This would be really useful for development, where one often
> doesn't have Apache and Tomcat integrated.
>
> Hans, if you need any beta-testers for what you've got, here they are ;)

I like to fine tune it a bit before I'm ready for beta testers, but
when it's decided exactly what to do, I'll announce it here as well
as on the other Tomcat lists.

Hans
--
Hans Bergsten		hans@gefionsoftware.com